St Peters Church
Church (Post Medieval - 1540 to 1900 AD)
Thomas Hellyer of Ryde built the Parish Church of St Peter in 1852. The building consists of rough local limestone rubble with stone dressings; steeply pitched red tile roofs with every fifth course curved and decorative ridge tiles. Nave has scissor rafter roof. Pointed Chancel arch with open chancel screen that has coloured rood figures, no aisles but integral vestry to north. South porch with moulded architraves and engaged colonettes. Western bell’cote with one bell. Tripartite lancets under hood moulds to east and slender lancets to other elevations. Corner stepped buttresses. The grand reredos, almost blocking the triple-lancet east window, was set up during the incumbency of the Rev. H.N. Thompson (1897-1909). Of triptych form; the main part has a wide panel under a coved canopy, painted with an Ascension scene and flanked by narrower panels depicting saints; the angled ends have similar painted panels. The paintings have been attributed to the monks from France who were at Appuldurcombe from 1901 until 1908, when they moved to Quarr Abbey. The rood screen with open tracery was set up in Thompson's memory. The organ is said to be late C17.
The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Society for the Maintenance of the Faith.
The ecclesiastical parish of St Peter, Haven Street, was formed from Arreton and Newchurch in 1853.
Page, W. (ed) 1912, 'The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, vol.5', London: Constable, p.186
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Borough of Ryde Isle of Wight, DOE, 18 May 1972, p.23 SZ59SE 7/168 – Revised
Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas Act 1990. 22nd Amendment of the 4th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, Isle of Wight Council, 15 June 2005
Lloyd, D.W. and Pevsner, N. 2006. 'The buildings of England: The Isle of Wight', New Haven and London: Yale University Press, p.158-159
Listed Building (II) - 410469