Lieutenant Colonel Albert de Lande Long D.S.O., D.L. 1880 - 1956
His death was announced on Thursday 19th April at his home Lisle Court, Wootton at the age of 75 years. Col Long had lived on the island for almost 30years, and was the last “great” owner of Lisle Court, before the estate was bought, and parts sold off.
Col. Long was born at Blythewood House, Stockton on Tees in 1880 and was the only son of Albert de Lande Long who with Arthur Dorman purchased West Marsh Steel Works, a firm based on Teeside employing 1350 men & 100 boys. They then founded the well known firm of Dorman Long in 1875, The firm later changed its name to Redpath Dorman Long and eventually being taken over by British Steel in 1967, is currently owned by Corus.
The family later moved from Teeside to Crosby Cote near Northallerton. The 1901 Census has the family living Hyde Park Court, Hanover Park, London, Albert de Lande Long [junior] is shown as undergraduate. He attended Winchester College before moving up to New College, Oxford, whilst there he gained a “blue” as a member of the winning 1901 boat race crew, and he was the president of the university boat club in 1902 & 03.
He did not join the family business but travelled the world extensively prior to joining the army and in 1912 became a captain in the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. During the First World War he served with the Gordon Highlanders retaining his rank of captain, and by 1918 he had risen to the rank of major, in March of that year he was wounded in action.
After the war he became Brigade Major for the Black Watch & Gordon Infantry based in Perth, Scotland, before transferring back to the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders with the rank of Lt. Col. and stationed at Edinburgh Castle. During his army career he became an expert in weapon training.
Retiring from the army, in 1927 he bought the estate of Lisle Court at Woodside on the Isle of Wight and moved to the island with his family, he very quickly became attached to the house and the island. He was a fine sportsman and skier, excelling at sailing and owned an 8 metre yacht, and was also an excellent oarsman, he travelled extensively.
He quickly became an influential yachtsman in the Solent, and those that knew him described him as a quiet and approachable person. When the village millpond was frozen in winter he could be seen skating with his wife Nan who was an extremely talented skater.
During the Second World War, Lisle Court became the headquarters for the army welfare work on the island.
He lost his wife of 30 + years in 1946 and wooden seats were placed in the churchyard of St Edmunds Church in her memory. Due to failing health Col. Long involvement sporting activities were gradually reduced until his death in 1956 and subsequent cremation at Southampton 21st April.
Isle of Wight County Press
Graeme de Lande Long