According to the O.S. map of 1842 Wootton Common was situated at the crossroads of Station Road, Briddlesford Road, Whiterails and Park Road.
In the parish of North Arreton, the principle landowner was Mrs Mary Harvey of Shanklin who was the Lady of the Manor. The area consists of common ground of gorse and brambles being profitably converted to tillage and garden.
There was an iron church called St Michael and All Angels, with a school room adjoining and is surrounded by a burial ground consecrated by the Bishop of Winchester on 10 December 1893. Mrs Harvey provided the land for the erection thereof. The Curate’s in charge have been Rev. William Joseph Betts, living at Hillgrove [1888-]; Rev. Mills Robins, St Paul's Clergy House, Common ; Rev. Herbert Reg Scott, Hillside . The church was demolished in 1910, it having been replaced by St Marks which was erected in 1909 in Station Road.
The area below the Central Railway line under the ownership of Sam Saunders and let to James Alford, were land holdings consisting of Oakfield; Oakfield Farm and cottages; Woodman Arms and The Brannons. These were in Station Road.
Col. Charles Winfred Brannon lived at Brannon House in the late twenties and thirties and moved to Tenth House in New Road in 1934. He was Scout Master of the Wootton Sea Scouts who were based in a wooden building on the Fishbourne side of the Creek. The boats were kept at Tenth House.
During the last war Saunders Roe transferred some of their mainland works to their East Cowes site and rented every available large house for their staff. Brannon House was among those they rented. The house is now divided into flats.
Dingley Dell now stands on the site of the old coach house and the stables.
A charming cottage-style bungalow set in an attractive mature plot located at 122 Station Road. The bungalow is approached over a gravelled drive with a wooden five-bar gate. This leads through the mainly lawned mature gardens with shrubs and trees to the garage, which has double opening wooden doors and cobbled flooring. This property was recently sold – see Isle of Wight County Press 14 January 2005.
Inside Briddlesford Road stood a cottage belonging to M.C. Wykeham of Blacksheath Farm and let to Henry Mew.
Taking the footpath besides the Woodman Arms and turning left into Packsfield North was the home of George Brannon’s Landscape Cottage, in all its stages the little work “Brannon’s Pictures of the Isle of Wight”. And other publications by the author were done here. The cottage and garden comprises of an area of 1 acre 1 rod and 34 perch [a rod or pole, a measure of 5 ½ yards or (square perch) 30 ¼ square yards.]
Source: Kelly’s DirectoriesThis page was last edited on: 26th January, 2022 17:50:24