A plot of land numbered 9 sold by Francis Pittis & Son on the instructions of Messrs Bolam & Co, Agents for Captain Holford 28th April 1894. The plot of land having a frontage to the road leading from Wootton to the Railway Station of 90 feet, depth of about 460 feet and consisting of an area of two rod nine perch. Of the conditions of purchase, the purchaser, his heirs and assigns, at any time permit to be erected any building to which the mere cost of material and labour shall not be in value less than Four Hundred Pounds.
The property erected thereon was built by William Please, a local builder for Edmund Brading, Schoolmaster, along with his wife, Eva, and daughter Daisy.
On 4th September 1907 the following marriage took place between Eng. Lieut. William Henry Mew RN of HMS Sultan, Chatham, youngest son of Edmund Mew of Clarmont, Wootton to Daisy Gurtrude, youngest daughter of Edmund Barding. The bride wore a gown of crepe-de-chine, trimmed with Brussels lace. The ceremony was conducted by the Rector Rev. Dr. Coleman at the local Parish Church of St Edmunds. The best man was Eng. Lieut F C Fisher RN of HMS Euryalus (Flag Ship of the 4th Cruiser Sqd.) Portsmouth, together with Eng. Lieut. Baker of HMS Cressey. A reception was held afterwards for One hundred guests.1
On the 8th August 1912, Edmund Brading died aged 632
|Other Occupiers of Linden House|
|1924-25||William Please junior. Builder, Undertaker and Insurance Agent|
|1931-35||Ernest C. Wermsley|
|1935||Ernest A. Wermsley|
|1948-51||George E Tomlinson|
1. Full account is reported in the IOW County Press September 1907 page 3
2. Full report IOW County Press 17 August 1912 page 3