Royal Victoria Yacht Club
The R.V.Y.C. was founded on 24 May 1845 by Prince Albert to give Queen Victoria a Yacht Club which she was entitled to enter as a mere female. The original club location as at Ryde and was for the Queen's reign it was one of premier racing clubs in the land and indeed the world. Members owned some of the finest and most competitive vessels of the time.
Queen Victoria's death however brought about a change in emphasis and the yachting fraternity returned to their traditional clubs in Cowes. Between the wars the fortunes of the Ryde based club declined and during the 1950s there was very little activity. Fortunately some farsighted members sought a union between the RVYC and two dinghy clubs, Fishbourne Sailing Club and Wootton Creek Sailing Club.
In the early 1960s the clubs relocated to its present premises at the mouth of Wootton Creek at Fishbourne. Since then the club has flourished and activities include fast, slow dinghies and Squib fleets, rallies, cruiser racing and training of for junior and adults.
Improved changing facilities and excellent pontoon and landing stage with space for visiting boats to moor overnight.
Link: http://www.rvyc.org.uk/This page was last edited on: 4th March, 2015 06:17:06