Great Briddlesford Farm
Domesday Place Name (Breilesforde) 1086; Bridlesford 1167; Bridleford 1179; Brydelesford 1280; Great & Little Briddlesford 1769. 'The bridle ford', the 'deep ford only passable by a horse or on horseback'. OE brigdels or bridels + ford.1
Deserted Settlement (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
The Manor House was at Great Briddlesford and the Domesday settlement was probably centred in this area.2
In the reign of Elizabeth, Thomas Lisle built the house at Briddlesford and lived there.5
House (Mid 1750 to 1800 AD) Red brick dressings around windows. South west end of roof hipped. Glazing bars are intact. South east side of house: porch with triangular pediment and columns. North west side shows two gable projections made of brick one being of Flemish bond the other is random brick large external stone chimney can be seen on north west side. North east side of house has old lean - to extension and some casement windows. Part of roof made up of clay tiles.3
L shaped C18 house. 2 storeys. 2 windows facing north and 2 windows facing east. Stone rubble with red brick dressings and long and short quoins. Eaves cornice. Tiled roof. Glazing bars intact. Small porch with pediment.4 The Farmhouse is fairly modern but the platform on which it is built probably indicates the site of the Elizabeth Manor House. Listed Building (II)
Dairy (1750 to 1850 AD)
Stone work mainly chalk. West wall made up of brick.3
Cart Shed (1750 to 1850 AD)
5 Cart entrances. Stone work is made up of chalk. Some of the timber pillars look original.3
Barn (1701 to 1800 AD)
Timber framed interior with 7 interior bays. 3 cart entrances. Barn built on brick footing and is mainly made up of weather boarding. Hay loft door on south side. Hipped porch on west side. On north side (internally) one of the bays has been bricked up - no specific brick pattern. On West side is a lean - to extension also timber exterior (looks like cart shed).6
Stable (1750 to 1850 AD)
Red brick dressings around windows & doors. 1 stable door blocked in on south side. On S/West side are steps up to a 1st floor door. Dormer hay loft door on N/W side of roof. Stone work chalk.3
No ground or AP evidence of desertion. [Ordnance Survey Field Investigator (1968) RAF AP's 106G/UK/1065/3183-4.] GCSE project carried out by Alison Broome, 2006. Report in back up file [Broome, A. 2006. 'Where is Briddlesford?']
1. H Kökeritz. 'The Place-Names of the Isle of Wight', Uppsala, (1940) p.238
2. Vicky Basford 14.11.1981. Briddlesford, listed as D.M.V Research Group 14th Annual Report (1966).
3. M. Chivers / C. Slawson
4. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Borough of Newport, DOE, 1 February 1972, p.3
5. VCH Hants Vol 5 (1912) 141-2
6. Unpublished document: SPAB Barn Survey form.
Graphic material: Historic Buildings Record Photographs.