Oakfield Estate June 1921
An important sale of farms and freehold properties was held by Sir Francis Pittis & Son on Saturday 11 June, at the Unity Hall, Newport, which was filled with an assemblage of tenants and other would-be purchasers. The sale was conducted by Mr Arthur H W Dockrill. The sale included outlying portions of the Oakfield Estate, Wootton of about 56 acres, including the wayside inn known as the Woodman's Arms, by direction of the trustees of the late Mr Thomas Chatfeild-Clarke, J.P, who was represented by Sir E Chatfeild-Clarke D.L.,J.P., Col. Stanley Chatfeild-Clarke and Mr Leslie Chatfeild-Clarke M.B.E.
The Oakfield (Wootton) Estate properties as offered, and the prices and purchasers:
Packsfield Dairy Farm of 19 acres with homestead and buildings let to Mr George Barton at a rental of £54 per annum - £1550
Mr H Wadmore, pair of semi-detached cottages with 5 and-a-half acres of land and stable buildings, let to Messrs F Sheppard and J Hamming at a gross rental of £36 16s - £775
Mr Thomas Scott, Enclosure of allotment ground of nearly two acres, with frontage to the main road of about 450 feet, suitable for building - £310.
Mr Sibbick, East Cowes. Landscape House, Black Cottage, with stable, piggeries and five acres of land, producing a rental of £28 - £680.
Mr George Barton. Pair of modern dwelling houses, Lindley and Barberton on the Briddlesford Road, let at £25 7s - £440.
Mr Sibbick, East Cowes. The free fully licensed inn, The Woodman's Arms, with garden, let to Messrs W B Mew Langton & Co. at £25 per annum - £1100.
Messrs W B Mew Langton & Co. Enclosure of 5 and-a-half acres of pasture land, approached from the Briddlesford-road - £130.
Mr F Kemp. Chancery Dairy, 13 acres with homestead, cottage etc., reached £1150, but was not sold under the hammer.
Two other lots, nearly five acres of pasture land at the junction of the main road to Newport and Briddlesford-road, with stabling and other buildings, and three-quarters of an acre of building land failed to find purchasers in the room, but the former has since been sold for £500.
Source: Isle of Wight County Press 18th June, 1921This page was last edited on: 26th January, 2022 17:50:41