Wootton C. P. School
For The Attention of Earl Mountbatten
The old village school was built in 1873. It continued to be an all-age school until 1953 when it became a County Primary School under its first and present headmistress Mrs Megan Marler.
It moved to its present site, a purpose built, partly open plan school in 1969, which was officially opened by Dr. Kellmen Pringle, a prominent personality in Child Care and Development.
The P.T.A. was formed in 1967 two years before the move into the new premises. It is a strong successful link between home and school and enables parents and teachers to meet socially. The P.T.A. built up its funs by organising coffee mornings, jumble sales, social evenings, and summer fairs of which this year’s is the most ambitious yet.
The P.T.A. marked the opening of the new school with a £100 worth of Carl Orff instruments, which have been used to great effect and with much success, not only during music lessons but also by the school’s orchestra at morning assembly, special school functions and in Island musical festivals.
Last year the P.T.A. set aside £200 for the adventure playground, which is now in the process of being developed.
The present target is a 16mm projector, which can be used by the teaching staff as a visual aid and also by the P.T.A. for evening programmes for parents.
The School’s managers are Miss. Wickenden-Smith J.P. a well-known and much respected local personality – chairman of the school’s managers since 1953. Miss Wickenden-Smith recently retired as local youth leader. Mrs Potter, a parent of the school whose children are now grown up has also been Vice-Chairman since 1953. Mr. Rolf, a well-known island solicitor. Mr. Deacon; Mr. Howlett; Mr. Butler, all very active members of the Newport Borough Council.
All managers have given the Head teacher and staff wonderful support during the difficult years when the little village school became to small for the fast growing and developing village of Wootton Bridge, and also since the school has been housed in the new premises. Since it was built in 1969 the school has had visitors from many parts of the world. It is hoped to forge a permanent link with Malawi by combining with three other island schools to provide a bursary to see a Malawi child through Secondary School.
Isle of Wight County Council
Opening ceremony of the Wootton County Primary School (Church Road) by Mrs. M. L. Keller Pringle B.A. Ph.D Dip.Ed.Psych. Friday July 4, 1969 at 2.30 pm