Miss Mary Constance Shedden 1862 - 1938
Her death occurred on the 15 March at Wootton House, Station Road, aged 76 years; she had lived there for almost 45 years having bought the house in 1894. She was the second daughter of Roscow Cole Shedden J.P. (Millfield, East Cowes) and his wife Charlotte, and sister to the late Sir George Shedden, of East Cowes.
Miss Shedden as she was known to people of Wootton took an active interest in the village. She bought the land on which St Marks Church now stands in 1909 for a reported £110.00, and was also involved in the raising of funds to build the actual church. When the church was built she provided and guaranteed the stipend for the incumbent for several years until it was taken over by The Rector of the Parish Church, Dr. Colman. A further gift to the new church was a small organ.
Whilst St Marks was being built, she allowed people to use her home for church services, and provided classes for young women and mothers of the village. The local football team were also grateful for her help as she allowed them to use a field along Gravel Pit Road for their matches. This field is where the two house Flagstones and Longmeadow are now built If players were thirsty they would knock on the door and a servant would provide them with a drink [water]. Also to help the club, a room was provided in the house for committee meetings.
In later years her health deteriorated and with the onset of blindness her involvement in village affairs was curtailed. She was interred in the family vault at St Mildred’s Church, Whippingham, her cousin Bishop Roscow Shedden officiating. Her funeral was well attended with over 56 names recorded in the official report.
As of the year 2006 she is still remembered and respected by those that knew of her.
Source: Isle of Wight County Press, March 1938