HOUSE (Mid C17 to Mid C18 - 1650 AD to 1750 AD)
English bond on first floor, Flemish on second floor. North gable, built around 1847, main house & south gable built well before (according to owner). Back elevation, & south gable rendered, north gable, showing stretcher bond. S gable, half hipped.
DAIRY (Mid C18 to Mid C19 - 1750 AD to 1850 AD)
Building adjoined to dairy, has Sussex bond. Is 2 storey, and may be used for storage. Dog kennel under stairs. 1st storey coursed rubble.
GRANARY (Mid C18 to Mid C19 - 1750 AD to 1850 AD)
Exterior material is corrugated iron. Floor structure looks old, joists & concrete supports modern Interior roof old.
HOP KILN (Early C19 to Mid C19 - 1801 AD to 1850 AD)
Roof material is corrugated Iron reinforced with concrete. Did have 2 narrow door entrances. Inside, has 2 small holes in roof in both building, could be a silo. Roofs have been raised - top 1/3 is Sussex bond. These are possibly oast houses.
Hops were grown on this farm before the First World War. In the farmyard is a relatively small rectangular brick structure divided into two hop kilns. Both kilns have unusual low curved roofs with a central hole to which a cowl must have at one time been fitted.
Tithe Apportionment no.272, Arreton Tithe map. (2) [2. CRO JER/T/28]
Isle of Wight County Archaeology and Historic Environment Service
A. Coombes/C. Penberthy/S. Chapman
Insole, A. and Parker, A. 'Industrial Archaeology in the Isle of Wight', IWCC, p.4 (1979)
Graphic material: Historic Buildings Record Photographs.
Building survey Archive: Notes, drawings, photographs, old map.