1932 was the year when all the Primitive Methodists and the Wesleyan Methodists amalgamated with the United Methodists, to become the Methodist Church. The Bible Christian Connexion, the Methodist New Connexion and the United Methodist United Free Church had entered into a union in 1907 and was thereafter known as the United Methodist Church.
At a church meeting in 1948, hopes were expressed that the church and schoolroom could be extended. Plans were drawn up and discussed at a meeting in March 1956 and authority to go ahead was given later that year with the works being completed in 1957. The work included enlarging the schoolroom and vestry and providing a kitchen and toilets.
In 1965 there was a move afoot to close the building because of a reduction in numbers, however a petition was raised by the congregation and presented to the Synod and the chapel was saved. In the late 1960s there was a move to build a new church on land owned by Mr. P. Harwood next what is now the Spar shop for £400.00. However a vein of running sand was found on the land and the scheme was abandon.
Today the church has had many improvements carried both in the actual church and the adjacent schoolroom, and further developments are planed. It would appear its future is assured.
Source: The History of the Wootton Station Road Methodist Church Society (1998), Isle of Wight County PressThis page was last edited on: 4th March, 2015 06:16:51