Hon. Mrs. Ivy Mitchison 1878 - 1950
The death of Mrs Mitchison was announced on Friday 10th March at her home The Cottage, Palmer Road, Wootton, at the age of 72 years, she was the widow of Capt. H. G. S. Mitchison late of Wootton Rise, Palmers Road. A neighbour found her in a collapsed state in the early evening, medical assistance was called, but she and died en-route to a nursing home. Although she had not been in good health over the last few months she had carried out her public involvements where possible. Ivy Mitchison was the second of three daughters of the late Rear Admiral the Hon. Albert D. S. Denison of Woodside, Wootton. On the death of the fourth Earl of Londesborough without an heir, the title passed to Ivy’s brother [The Old Vicarage, Shalfleet], as a result, the three daughters were granted the style and title of Baron’s daughters [this would have been the case had their father lived to inherited the title]. She married Capt. Mitchison at St Edmunds Church, Church Road, Wootton, in 1905 [we believe that the house Wootton Rise was built for them].
Mrs Mitchison was very talented musically having an excellent contralto voice and was a superb pianist, she also excelled on the violin and viola, she founded the Wootton Glee Club and conducted a concert by them a week before her death. She was very well liked and respected in the village and there are many articles in the County Press listing the events and activities in Wootton that she was involved in. She been a member of the Parochial Church Council at St Edmunds Church and presented a silver Holy Communion cruet in memory of her husband and younger son [killed in the Second World War].
In 1922 she was involved in the creation of the Isle of Wight Musical Festival and after the Second World War was elected president. She competed in the island music festivals and won the senior violin solo on several occasions including the year before her death. She devoted a great deal of her time ensuring the musical festival was a success and was very supportive of young musicians. She actively supported a number of organisations among who were St Cecilia’s Singers, Newport, Saunders-Roe Male Voice Choir, Newport Evening Institute and her own Wootton Gee Club.
This was held on the 14th March at St Edmunds Church, there was a large gathering of Island people including many of her musical friends. The coffin on which was a large cross of flowers from the family was proceeded into the church by the British Legion colours and the church choir, with the organist playing a selection from ‘Stainers’ “Crucifixion”, at Mrs Mitchison request Wootton Gee Club sang “The long day closes”.
Chief mourners were Mr. & Mrs. Denison Mitchison [son & daughter-in-law], Lord & Lady Londesborough [brother & sister-in-law], Hon. Mrs. D. Hobson [sister], Mr. S. Richardson; Hon. Mrs Everett [sister] was unable to attend for health reasons.
The service was concluded with the chanting of the “Nunc Dimittis” and Walford Davies “Solemn Melody”. The coffin was then placed next to her husband in the churchyard.
Source: Isle of Wight County Press