Brocks Copse Road
The original Lodge, now a house is dated from 1864 as per a date plaque to the rear gable. An Osborne Estate building built to control the gates to the Osborne and Barton Manor boundary drive where it intersected the public road. Gothic style, built of polychrome brickwork, comprising yellow brick and horizontal bands and diaper-work in red brick, with timer framed gable and slate roof with brick chimneystacks. Asymmetrical building, L-shaped on plan, of one storey and attics, the windows mainly horned sashes without glazing bars in Caernarvon arches. Entrance front facing east has projecting timber framed gable to left with fretted bargeboards and eclectic framing with criss cross decoration and carved Tudor roses. Large first floor three light window, the central part replaced in c.20. Other windows are original sash windows. There is a slightly projecting gable to the right with a plaque bearing the Royal Coat of Arms and paired sash windows. Central gabled porch with original half-glazed door. The south elevation facing the road has a right side gable with fretted bargeboards and plaque with Royal Coat of Arms, one sash window to first floor and paired sashes to ground floor. In the centre is a large projecting external chimneystack with elaborate patterned brickwork and three castellated terracotta chimneypots. The west or rear elevation has a projecting gable to the right with datestone and a recessed gable to the left, both with fretted bargeboards. An elaborate Osborne Estate Gothic style lodge or polychrome brickwork with eclectic timber framed gable.
The building is Listed Grade II.
Source: 17th Amendment of the 4thList of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Isle of Wight Council 492439.DCMS, 2 February 2005This page was last edited on: 26th January, 2022 17:50:22