One of a series of houses built from recycled stone from the old abbey and which stood among venerable oak trees with views over the Solent. The house became the residence of Admiral Sir Thomas John Cochrane, K.C.B (1779-1860), son of Admiral Sir Alexander Cochrane, Commander-in-Chief at Portsmouth from 1852-55.
His daughter, Minna (d. 1943), was lady in waiting to Princess Beatrice. It was at Quarr Abbey House that the Princess had spent her honeymoon after her marriage, 23 July 1885, to Henry of Battenburg. Queen Victoria knew Minna as Minnie and in her diary, only ten days before her death, the Queen recorded that on the 12 January 1901, Minnie Cochrane and Princess Beatrice had played duets to her. After the death of the Queen at Osborne the Cochrane family ceased to visit the house and it was placed in the hands of a caretaker. Lieutenant Thomas Belhaven Henry Cochrane (d. 1925), son of Lord High Admiral and brother of Minnie, sold the property to the monks. The purchase date was 24 May 1907; Lieutenant Cochrane was then deputy Governor of the Isle of Wight.This page was last edited on: 26th January, 2022 17:50:19