Braunstone House School

Braunstone House School. Lugley Street, Newport. Isle of Wight.

Boarding and Day School for girls and little boys.
Principles: Miss Parker A.C.P. And Miss G Parker A.T.C.L., A.R.C.M. Registered Teacher
Assisted by experienced certified Resident and Visiting Mistresses.

Braunstone House SchoolThis is essentialy a Home School, and only a limited number of resident pupils are taken. The school buildings are lofty, well ventilated and thoroughly up-to-date.
The curriculam includes the usual course of study, pupils have very careful tuition in the Curwen and Matthay methods in music, and are taught Musical Appreciation in small classes, special attention is given to Drawing and many sucesses in the R.D.S. Examinations have been obtained. Pupils are prepared for the London Metric; Cambridge Local; College of Preceptors (Prelim). And Associated Board of Music.
A seperate Kindergarten for small children is in the charge of a fully qualified Froebel* Mistress.
Every encouragement is given to out of doors excercises and games. Tennis and cricket are played in the summer, hockey and basket-ball in the winter.
Fees: 25 guineas per term.
Entire charge taken of children whose parents reside abroad. Anglo-Indian, Colonial and Foreign.

Source: Paton’s List of Schools.

Notes: Guinea = £1-1s.0d. (1971 = £1 5p)

It is believed that the school closed in the early 1950s.

*Froebel – a German pedugogue student of Pestalozzi who laid the foundation of modern education based on the recocognition that children have unique needs and capabilities.

Admissions to St. Mary’s Hospital

Emergency admissions to St. Mary’s Hospital above predicted on six days since 2/1/15

Admissions to St. Mary’s Hospital continue to exceed discharges placing pressure on health services both in the hospital and services based in the community. Patients are also staying longer in hospital with respiratory conditions. The data below shows a mixed picture with admissions above the expected on five of the last nine days and an increasing number of medical patients occupying beds.

Day Predicted Emergency Admissions Actual Emergency Admissions Total Admissions Discharges No. of Medical Patients % Medical Patients above
10/01/15 26 28 29 24 154 77%
09/01/15 26 33 40 50 141 62%
08/01/15 32 29 41 22 131 51%
07/01/15 26 22 29 36 138 59%
06/01/15 27 28 29 26 153 76%
05/01/15 27 22 24 31 132 52%
04/01/15 30 34 35 18 139 60%
03/01/15 26 23 23 17 132 50%
02/01/15 26 31 34 23

Nikki Turner, Associate Director for Community and Mental Health Services and the Trust’s on call Director for this weekend says: “We are continuing to see more elderly people with nasty infections and respiratory conditions. They take longer to recover and stay longer in hospital occupying beds that would normally be available for scheduled surgery and other emergency admissions. With the support of all our staff and our colleagues who work in health and social care across the Island we have been able to minimise the number of cancelled in-patient operations and kept outpatients and day surgery working normally. We’re grateful to everyone who is making use of alternative’s such as pharmacies and getting advice from the NHS Choices website and 111. Talking to before making a journey to St. Mary’s is the right thing to do.”

Scheduled in-patient operations, day surgery and outpatients appointments are all expected to continue as planned tomorrow, Monday 12th January, but will be reviewed if pressures continue through the week. Patients will be advised direct if it becomes necessary to cancel their operation which will be rescheduled as quickly as possible.

Isle of Wight NHS Trust has opened additional beds, got more nursing, medical and allied health profession staff working, and more equipment in place to cover the increase in demand this winter. Despite this services are currently still under substantial pressure with more patients than expected requiring admission to hospital. We need Islanders to continue to only use the hospital’s A&E Department and Beacon Health Centre if they really need to and consider self care, pharmacies, online advice from NHS Choices at www.nhs.uk or phoning 111 for advice. It is important that advice is sought early before conditions deteriorate and require a visit to A&E.

Patients may be unaware of the Pharmacy First scheme which allows the free supply of medicines by your pharmacist to treat most minor ailments. This means they can get expert advice and treatment for most minor ailment conditions without the need to see a GP. All consultations are private and the medicine supply is free to those who are eligible for free prescriptions. Details of pharmacists with early and late opening are attached.

Common complaints which can be treated at home with advice from the pharmacist include:

· Skin conditions, such as mild acne and mild eczema

· Coughs and colds including nasal congestion and sore throat

· Minor cuts and bruises

· Constipation and haemorrhoids (piles)

· Hay fever and allergies

· Aches, pains, such as headaches, earaches and backaches

· Indigestion, diarrhoea and threadworms

· Period pain and thrush

· Warts and verrucas, mouth ulcer and cold sores

· Athletes foot

· Nappy rash and teething

Services available from local pharmacies include:

· Emergency contraception

· Stop smoking services

· Minor Ailments

· HIV and Hepatitis testing

· Flu Vaccination – NHS and private services

· Hepatitis B Vaccination

· Stop smoking services

· Pregnancy testing

Islanders are encouraged to take more care of their health where possible by either asking their local pharmacy staff for advice, looking for advice on line (www.nhs.uk) or self-treating using some basic medicine cabinet essentials.

For emergency dental treatment at weekends and bank holidays, call your own dentist first. If unable to make contact or unregistered on IW, call NHS 111.

GPs should be visited if you have concerns about a condition that will not go away, or is getting worse. It is important to visit your GP if you have a recurring condition that is affecting your ability to function on a day to day basis.

Auction Land and Buildings Ryde 1921

Auction of valuable land and buildings in the Ryde area from the Oglander and the late Mr W. Player Brigstock estates
11 June 1921

The auction was well attended for this sale of land and property and was conducted by Mr. Arthur Dockrill from the auctioneers Francis Pitts and Son of Newport and was held at Unity Hall, Newport on Saturday 11th June.

Oglander estate. ten lots came under hammer totalling some 480 acres [but not all the acreage was detailed in the auction report] and attracted considerable interest, and the sale reached £12,000.
Lot 1.
Aldermoor Farm, Ashey, 107 acres with farmhouse and buildings, rental £200.00 per annum, was sold to the sitting tenant Mr Cyril Minter for £5,000.00.
Lot 2.
Hospital Lane Dairy, with land totalling 22 acres with stabling etc., rental £67.00 per annum, sold to the sitting tenant Mr. James Prior for £1500.00.
Lot 3.
Preston Farm, near Ryde, comprising of some 55 acres and including a farmhouse and buildings, with an annual rental of £200.00. sold to the sitting tenant Mr. Abraham Horsford for £4000.00.
Lot 4.
One rood [quarter of an acre] and 22 poles of arable land [665 square yards] at Carpenters on the main Brading -St. Helens was sold for £60.00 to Mr Tolley.
Lot 5.
Two acres of pasture land at Carpenters was sold to Mr.Tolley for £140.00.
Lot 6.
Five acres of pasture on the south side of St. Helens Green was sold to Mr. T. Keeping, existing tenant for £330.00.
Lot 7.
Three and a quarters acres of land at Swanmore currently producing a rental of £13.00per year, sold to Mr.C.Guy sitting tenant for £250.00.
Lot 8.
Nursery Garden, Piglet Lane, Swanmore, totalling more than2 acres, producing a yearly rental of £10.00, sold to Mr Frank Orchard for £350.00.
Lot 9.
Almost 4 acres of land used for allotments at Swanmore producing £7.6.6, per year rental, sold to Mrs Howe for £220.00.
Lot 10.
Hillgrove Farm, near St Helen’s railway station with acreage in excess of 84 acres, currently let to Messrs Sidney Ansell and son at a rental of £124.00. The bidding reached £3,800 but failed to reach the reserve, and was withdrawn.
Part 2, of the auction saw the lots from the Brigstocke estate coming under the hammer:-
Lot 1.
Gatehouse Farm, Ashey, this comprised of a farmhouse, farm buildings and a cottage with land totalling 84 acres. Currently let to Messrs W.C. and G…Russell at a rental of £145.00 per annum. Sold to Mr. E. Loader of Ryde for £3550.00.
Lot 2.
Deacon’s Dairy, Ashey, which included cottages and 8 acres of pasture land and produced an annual rental of £25.00. Sold to Mr. William Cass current tenant for £880.00.
Lot 3.
Mill house small holding comprising of cottage and 8 acres of land, producing an annual rental of £40.00 per annum, existing tenant Mr, R. Russell. Sold to Mr. Attrill, Brightstone, for £880.00.
Lot 4.
Fourteen acres of accommodation pasture land comprising part of Mill House Farm, producing £40.00 rental per annum, tenant Mr. Russell. sold to Mr. P. Paul for £920.00.
Lot 5.
Five acres of accommodation land, part of Mill House Farm, producing an annual rental of £15.00. Sold to Mr.P.Paul for £810.00.
Lot 6.
Stroud Wood Dairy, near Upton, 12 acres with dwelling house and stables, with an annual rental of £42.5.10. Sold to Mr G.H.Taylor existing tenant for £850.00.
Lot 7.
Stroud Wood, Ashey four enclosures of pasture and allotment land totalling 13 acres, producing £15.10.0 rental per annum. Sold to Mr. C. Langdon for £590.00.
Lot 8.
Allotments, gardens and pasture land near Stroud Wood, producing an annual rental of £10.00, sold to Mr.G.HTaylor for £250.00.
Lot 9.
Ryde cricket and football ground totalling over 5 acres, bidding reached £1850.00 but failed to reach the reserve and was withdrawn.

Two addional lots from the estate of Mr.G.R.Brigstock were offered:-
Lot 1.
Twenty three acres of pasture land with stabling near Ashey Station, reached £1180.00 but failed to reach the reserve, and was withdrawn.
Lot 2.
The brickworks opposite Stroud Wood reached £640.00. and was withdrawn.

Source:- County Press June 1921

Binstead

BINSTEAD, is a small village of quite antiquity, finding mention as “Benestite” in Domesday Book. The parish is bounded by Newchurch on the east; it is seperated from the parishes of Wootton and Arreton on the west, by Fishborn creek; and is bounded by the Channel on the north. This small parish seems to have originated from the grants of William the Conqueror, and William Rufus, of half a hide of land to Walkeline, Bishop of Winchester, for the digging of stone to repair the cathedral. The first grant expresses – nec folum autem ibi, fed per totam terram mean in eadem infula,”not only there, but throughout all my land in that island; which might have afforded the Bishops of Winchester opportunity to extend their limits beyond the first expressed quantity; at the time of this grant the whole island was in the Crown, by the forfeiture of Earl Roger, the son of William Fitz-Osborn. It is also found in the register of Winchester, that when William of Wykeham rebuilt the body of that cathedral, he dug the stone in the Isle of Wight, and commissioned the Abbot of Quarr to provide cariages to convey it to the sea; the pits from whence the stone was taken, is still visible.1

Binstead church, was probably built by one of the Bishops of Winchester, having always belonged to that fee, and paid an annual pension of two shillings to the facrist of the Monastey there: it is subjected to the Rector of Calborn, who formerly claimed archidiaconal jurisdiction over Binstead, and Brixton. The church is a small plain building, having nothing remarkable about it, but a rude and very ancient piece of seulpture over the key=stone of the north door, representing a human figure, fitting with the feet on a kind of pedestal, resembling a ram’s head; the whole is about two feet and a half high; it is vulgarly called the Idol, but probably was one of those strange figures, which the Saxon and Norman architects commonly placed on key-stones and frizes. It is reported that upon the church being repaired some few years ago, this figure was removed; but the inhabitants were displeased at it, and procured its restoration.1

Binstead village was in the early 19th century, it was a small rural community, with farmhouses adjoining the main road, and a hamlet comprising a cluster of houses and cottages at Binstead Pits. After the Fleming’s Estate Act and the construction of the new road in the mid 1800s, the landscape was reconfigured and a new village, effectively, grew up along the main road.

Binstead Cottage, once a villa sited southwest of Binstead Church, which later became Binstead Parsonage. Binstead Lodge, a new villa built around 1808, north of Binstead Church, replacing the former Cottage after 1835. Also from 1860 it was known as Binstead House. Binstead House was a mansion house built in 1851 on the site of the original Binstead Lodge. It was the island home of the Willis Fleming family. It probably became known as Binstead House during the tenancy of Sir Charles Locock from 1864. An abstraction of a lease with plan of Binstead Cottage (Binstead Lodge, House, with land and cottages) formely occupied by Lord Downes, to Sir Charles Locock (surrendered 27 Jan 1883). Binstead House was the Dower House of the Willis Fleming family. Richard Hugh Willis Fleming was born there on 20 Jan 1921. The house was sold in 1925. 2

Jottings From The Past

Proposed developments in Wootton Bridge as part of the village regeneration plans -December 2002

  As part of the overall island road network improvements, members of both the County Council and Highways department gave a presentation to Wootton Parish Council on the proposed plans for the widening and upgrading of Park Road. The upgrade was intended to be part 1 of the east/west road which would allow the traffic from East Cowes ferries heading towards Sandown and Shanklin to by-pass Lushington Hill and the village: this upgrade was included in the proposed Island Plan.

It was also announce that part 1 of the improvements would see the bridge at the bottom of Park Road raised and strengthen at a cost in the region of £750,000, it was said by the officials that there was a government grant available if the scheme received a quick approval.

Phase 2 would see improvements to the highway and provision of pedestrian footpath up towards the crossroads, and it was hoped to eliminate the bad corner near Park Farm.

Phase 3 would see improvements at the crossroad with the development of a large traffic island [editor: – 32 foot diameter]. As part of the overall highways improvement, work would be required to at a later stage widen Briddlesford Road to meet highway standards.

In principal the parish council welcomed the plans to reduce the amount of traffic passing through the village, but concerns were raised some, residences of the road.

 Editor’s note: – The scheme received a hostile reception from a number of residences of Park Road and there was a long running battle with the County Council, the government grant was lost, and eventually the scheme was abandoned with the cost of the road upgrade approaching £2,500,000. I believe the money was then spent on the road improvement at the Undercliff in Ventnor.

At the same meeting a plan produced by the village partnership for future development in the village by 2007 was presented:-

Top of the list of priorities was a new doctor’s surgery in the village, this stems from the fact the current surgery is in rented property for a finite time. The Parish Council agreed to support the proposals and press the County Council to earmark the land in Brannon Way adjacent the Community Centre County for this purpose.

Editor’s note: – After many years of hold-up and delays the new surgery final opened on the 17th November 2014.

Two further proposal were submitted to the Parish Council for consideration

  1. To apply to the Countryside Agency for money to upgrade and landscape Wootton recreation ground. This was subsequently achieved and the scheme was called the “Doorstep Green”.
  2. To work towards encouraging start-up businesses to halt the decline within the village. To this end a business association was formed.

Source. County Press: – December 2002.

 Editor’s Note: – Odd Jottings that have occurred within the village have been added here as an addendum in order to preserve the ..

  1. July 2006.

The Sloop Inn, Wootton and The Lifeboat at East Cowes have been sold by Brewers Fayre chain to Mitchells and Butler organisation which already has around 2000 public houses and restaurant’s in the United Kingdom. The sale by Brewers Fayre was part of the disposal by the company of 339 businesses not linked to their core business of Premier Inns and Travel Lodge. Note Medina Quay facility at Seaclose will remain Brewer Fayre organisation.

2. May 2007.

The holiday camp know in the village as “Little Canada” but run by the adventure company ‘. PLG, has been bought by ‘Holidaybreak’ for £100 million pounds and the new owners will concentrate on educational holidays.