Odd historical jottings from around Wootton [Part 3]

That area, on the east side of New Road where the bungalow Little Orchard plus others now stands, was an apple orchard.

It is claimed that in the 1700 s a road ran from where Hamilton Butchers shop in the High Street is now built, to Havenstreet.

It is reported that there were 7,000 troop plus ancillaries stationed on the island in 1940 in case the Germans tried to invade the island. Plans also existed to evacuate all the civilian population in case of attack within 24 hours.

During the Second Wold War there were 1594 siren alerts and 125 air raid on the island with West/East Cowes being the town that suffered most.

The Germans had aerial photograph and maps of the island in readiness for a possible invasion, and it is reported that a group of soldier raided Ventnor radar station in 1940.

1947, Functions were held at the Conservative Hall [now Bumbles Arcade] in the High St., work on the new Conservative hall had started just before the first world war and was not finished until 1922. There were dances, games  refreshments, admission 1/6 per person, together with other groups who used the hall. The name of “Bumbles” came about when the village Rector took over the arcade in the mid 1970s in an effort to create work for people of the village and named the arcade after his dog, unfortunately the intuitive did not succeeded.

During the Second World War, dances were held in the ballroom at the Lakeside holiday camp.

During the Second World War various troops were stationed in the village and the then landlady of the Sloop Mrs Golden, praised the conduct of those using the inn.

Businesses in the village just after the war, Rendle Bros, Woody Bank, New Road– M.K.Bennett, High Street [Lending Library, sweets etc]–Muriel Glassey, De-Air School of dancing–Hendy’s Newspaper shop [now Spar by the traffic lights in the High Street]–Barton & Greenham, plumber and electricians, The Nurseries, Station Road.

Wootton football teams pitch was where the new Wootton Primary school now stands, the team also played on a field on Gravel Pit and Miss Shedden allowed the use of a room in Wootton House. for meetings.

Evacuees came to the village from Portsmouth in 1940 to escape the air raids in Portsmouth.

The carving hung in the eaves of the roof of St Edmund church cost £65.00.

The death occurred 1946 of Mrs de Long at Lisle Court, Woodside.

Dr Kennedy the local doctor of many years standing  who lived at Wootton Lodge, High Street, was awarded the MBE. for services to the community.