1905 Herbert Guy Mitchinson aged 27 from Westbourne Sussex married Ivy Denison aged 26 who was the daughter of Admiral Denison
Mrs Mitchinson [wife of the above] of Palmers Road, a musician of some caliber, ran the village choral in the Conservative Club Hall [now Bumbles arcade]
Coming passed where Isle of Wight Railway ran under the Station Road and approaching the rise by Glendale Close, there were beech trees on either side of the road which met overhead.
The only properties in Church Road were Wootton Lodge, the Rectory and a few cottages, the remaining frontage was fields.
One daughter of the Rev Coleman vicar of St Edmund’s, married A.Robert Chatfield-Clark, the other married a coachman against her fathers wishes.
Wootton Farm was owned by Herbert Brown and there was a pond in the field called “Goose Green”.
The two houses of the corner of Station Road called The Cedars & Lindens were built by the local builder called Please.
The large house off Station Road called Fernhill and owned by the Brodie family was sold to developers, during building work the roof caught fire and the house was totally destroyed.
A ferry boat service [rowing boat] across the entrance to Wootton Creek was run Frank Young, and it was reported the one could obtain liquid “refreshment” from his establishment.
In 1940 an incendiary bomb fell through the roof of “Westfield” in Wootton High Street and was safely extinguished.
On the night of the 15th June 1941 a high explosive and incendiary bomb narrowly missed the searchlight post at the end of Palmers Road, which was maned by 28 soldiers from searchlight Regiment, Royal Artillery
During the same period a stray cannon shell went through the roof of Thorne’s bakery in the High Street.
Due to the threat of a German invasion of the island in 1940 a company from “D” company of the Black Watch were camped in the woods on the right hand side approaching Fishbourne Lane.
A picture of the Black Watch marching up Kite hill in 1940 is shown on page 93 of “The Island at War” by Adrian Searle
1912 William Henry Please aged 34 [father Henry Please builder] of Oakcroft married Florence E Brading aged 31 of the Lindens, Station Road.