Sea Street, Newport

Sea Street
1st mentioned in 13th-14th centuries

At some point before the mid 16th century, the Town had an embankment built round this area, creating some very marshy pasture. A bridge was constructed across the river from the town side to this embankment roughly where the Medina way adjoins the Council car park. This bridge allowed Newport inhabitants to cross over and dump their soil and rubbish into the marshy area within the embankment. This became one of the three official dumping grounds within the town. Richard James was the lessee of this Oase meadow in Elizabeth’s reign, which passed on to the March family in the early 17th century. In the Royal Survey of 1559, the official status of this tipping ground was recognised:
“The Town hath a parcel of meadow ground, sometime called The Woes on the eastward part of the river, in occupation of Richard James, except for a footway there for the inhabitants of Newport to lay dust and soil on the premises where the tenant shall appoint”.

In a 1567 “Rental of Newport Town Lands”, Richard James paid the town a rent of 4d. for “ye medoe called ye Oes”, listed under “The towne lands in Key Streete & Shishpoole [Old Ledger Book NBC/45/2]. This was the standard rent paid for this plot for many years to come. In 1584, at the Court Leet, Richard James was instructed “to make a sufficient hedge or ffence upon the banke againste Peter Woodford [i.e. Peter Woodford’s close called Key or Quay Close in Fairlee] before the next Lawe daie sub pena vis. viiid.” [NBC/45/21]

Key Close [Quay Close] was the field between Hillside and Snook’s Hill, now occupied with the Social Services Offices and the top car park of the Riverside Centre.
In the 1592 Borough Book of Newport, a detailed look at the Town lands was recorded. The marsh was still held by Richard James and was described as:
“Itm a pece of ground called the Oase sometyme hath ben overflowne wth the sea & nowe woone & inclosed wth a banke by the Towne wch bancke beginneth at a ground called coule crafte and for compasinge about up to the key close & bounded as followeth that is to saye the haven in the North west the River wch cometh from fourde myll in the South coule craft close in the este”. [NBC/45/22]
In the early 17th century, the marsh was leased to the March family, an overner family of substantial merchants who set up in Newport but eventually came to have substantial holdings throughout the Island but especially in the Newport and Cowes areas. The Newport Terrar Book [a book detailing the Town’s properties and their rents] shows that the marsh is still being used as one of the town’s official dumping grounds:
“1652 TERRAR BOOK
No. 37
A peece of ground measured lying betweene Sea Street & the river wth the storehouse theron and a peece of meadow ground sometime called the woes on the eastward pt of the River (except a footeway for the inhabitants of Newport to lay dust and soile on the premisses where Mr. March shall appoint) Letten to Mr. David March by Indenture dated the second day of June in the yeare of our Lord 1624 ffor 99 yeares begining at Lady daie last past before the said date At the yearlie rent of for the ground and storehouse theron Rent viiid. Burgage iiiid.
& for ye meadowe Rent iiiid. [No burgage]”. [NBC/45/101]

In 1676, John Hopkins is leasing the marsh [NBC/45/101], which he held till 1681. In 1688, a Mr. James Grant has taken over. [NBC/45/2 & NBC/45/16B] On 18 October 1695, Grant asked for the lease to be made out in the name of Richard French, carpenter, of Snooks Hill. [NBC/45/16B f.333] It is possible that this Richard French is the builder of the mill on the marsh, for the next lease in 1703, made out to John Redstone mentions a mill along with the marsh [1703 Dec. 17, NBC/45/16B]. By 1710, a small close adjoining the east side of the marsh has become Mill Close due to its proximity to the mill.
” And also that close or parrock of land called Mill Close near Newport, but in the parish of Whippingham (1 acre) upon the river running from Fordbridge towards Newport Quay on the west part, Key Close on east part, the marsh belonging to the Mayor, Aldermen and Chief Burgesses of the town of Newport on North side, and the highway from Newport to Whippingham and the last mentioned messuage or tenement on the south side Also Key Close, parish of Whippingham, near the Key of the town of Newport (7 acres) bounded with Colcroft Close, being pasture, part of Cosham Farm on the north, the lane leading from Newport to Whippingham on the east part, the Marsh aforesaid on north and north west parts and the said parrock, called Mill close, on west part, which said pieces of ground were heretofore in occupation of Jone Harvey, widow, of Newport, and afterwards of John Howe of Newport, basket maker”
[9 Dec. 1710 Marriage Settlement of John King, baker and Sarah Harris of Newport, widow, JER/MISC/40]

On the above maps, the mill is marked at the north east end of the marsh where the entrance to Seaclose car park is today. It’s almost certain that a building, which appeared on a 1758 plan in the same position, marked the position of the mill. On the right is shown a copy of part of a plan of the Encampment near Newport in the Isle of Wight 1758 & 1759 [BL Add 15532]. It clearly shows the mill pond that belonged to the mill on what had early been the town marsh dumping ground. The small bridge, that is shown on Speed’s map to allow the Newport inhabitants access to the marsh in order to dump their waste, has now been removed.

On 5 December 1723, the Mayor and Burgesses of Newport leased to John Redstone
“a storehouse in Sea Street, having the river descending from Foord Bridge to the haven on the north-east side, and also their piece of meadow ground, sometime called the ooze, lying on the eastward part of the said river running down from Foord Bridge and adjoining the south part of the haven, with the corn water mill lately erected, and all the banks, sluices and appurtenances to the same belonging, except a convenient footway for the King’s subjects upon the bank adjoining the said haven”.

Here specific mention is made of sluices, suggesting a tide mill as sluice gates were required to allow water in at high tide but then trap it in the mill pond once it was full.
Left: The site of the mill can be located in the area where the waterboard building stands and slightly to its right.
The Terrar Book of the Estates belonging to the Corporation of the Borough of Newport [NBC/45/103] shows that John Redstone is still leasing this property in 1749:

Sea Street
A Storehouse and Backside with the Marsh and Corn Water Mill and appurtenances granted to Mr. John Redstone for 51 years from Michas 1738.
Rent Money
for the Storehouse 3s. 2d.
for the Mill 4d.

The mill was in existence for almost one hundred years: it seems to have ceased to exist by 1792, as it is not shown on the 1792 Ordnance Survey map, but a small cottage is shown at the southern end of the marsh. This cottage was also marked on the tithe map of 1845 for Whippingham parish. The mill banks were still extant and these can be seen in two late 18th century paintings of the area, one by an Horatio Dennett, and the other by Joseph Turner [see below]. In the Turner drawing, two people can be seen walking on the mill bank. In the Dennett picture, the embankment seems to be in a decaying state, allowing a view of its structure. It seems to be very similar in construction to the Newtown marsh walls, consisting of a row of wooden stakes driven into the soft river bed mud, with an embankment of clay formed over the top of or on the inside of them. This bank is shown in a somewhat eroded condition with the wooden stakes clearly visible and large pools of water still remaining within the mill pond.
In 1851, Newport Corporation authorised the improvement of the River Medina and for £15,000 undertook to have parts of the river dredged as well as certain parts of the banks near Newport straightened and fortified with quays. This included the improving of the marsh, with quay walls and infilling behind. Part of the site was then leased to Sir A. W. Hilary, of London, in order to construct a gas works on the site of the present Riverside Centre. This new company, The Newport (I.W.) Gas Company, provided much cheaper gas than its older rival, The Newport Gas Light Company, whose premises were situated at Pan Bridge. R.J. Eldridge notes that the “Newport Gas Light Company were so affected by this that their £50 shares fell in value to £4, and in the end Sir A. W. Hilary and his partners purchased the old company’s undertaking” [Newport in Bygone Days, R.J. Eldridge. Isle of Wight County Press 1952].

The northern most street on Smeed’s map of 1611 with its junction with that of Holyrood Street on the west side and Quay Street on the right.
Once known as ‘Shispoole Street’ because of the number of the most important warehouses.
A solitary alms house on the east side of Sea Street, near the Quay.

The Railway bridge span the lower end of the Medina river, the centre span slid open to allow barges to go through. The railway closed in 1966 and the bridge demolished.

(North East Side)
Holyrood Street corner with Sea Street stands the Medina Railway Tavern.
1 Elizabeth Rainbird – Licensed Victuler [1871]
William J Rainbird – Musician
Elizabeth A Rainbird – Milliner
Charlotte E Rainbird – Pianist
Henry Sherring – Cellerman
Frank Blew – Tinman
Thomas Hayden – Licensed Victualler [1881]
Eliza Hayden
Louisa J Hayden
Bertie A Love
William Stephens (visitor, butler)
Thomas Hayden – 1885
O W Elsbury – 1889
Elsbury Oliver White – 1891
Joseph Smith – Licensed Victualler [1891]
Helen R Smith
George J Smith

Railway Hotel
Edythe Holland – Hotel manageress [1901]
Mary Ethel Holland
Beatrice Emily Gallop – servant

Railway Tavern
Mr Johnson – Landlord [1911]

1 & 3 Later C18 on the corner of Sea Street and Holyrood Street qv where the front has been entirely refaced in late C19 including a public house. On Sea Street: 2 storeys stucco with frieze and plinth. Gable end old tile roof, shallow wood eaves cornice. 3 windows: 1st floor, 2 light casement to north with glazing bars thin wood block sill, others windows slightly recessed sash, glazing bars moulded frames, block sills. C19 ground floor window to north of 2 round headed lights with colonettes, recessed, block sills, bracketed hood, other 2 windows, C19, recessed sash of 2 lights with plain strips, thin block sills (mid C19). No 1 has recessed door modern, but with semi-circular fanlight, splayed reveals, doorcase of stucco pilasters with block capitals, plain arch over.
No 3 has recessed door of 4 fielded panels, 2 glazed, moulded frame, doorcase of stucco Doric pilasters frieze and block cornice.
Listing NGR: SZ4998589388 Grade II 1 Feb. 1972
2 Samuel Isaac Honning – 1891
Lawes & Co. manure merchants – 1889-1891
Cradock Butchers Ltd – 1971
4 Alfred John Harley – coal merchant 1891-1898
5 Alfred Harley, agent Globe Parcel Express Office – 1891
6 Samuel Leigh, carrier by water – 1891
W B Mew Langton & Co Ltd. Brewery stores – 1891
Ash & Thomas, stores – 1891
5-9 W Hurst & Son – 1971
This area is now a public car park

Little London
Until the late 16th century, the area where Quay Arts Centre and the Riverside centre are today were marshy wetlands known variously as the Woas, Oase or ooze. Covered at high tide with brackish water, these areas became marshy soft mudlands at low tide possibly fringed with reeds. It is recorded that the town inhabitants used the Little London marsh area for mooring and mending their boats. Indeed the limits of the River Medina or Newport River (as it was then known) corresponded with the town boundaries and so the marshy margins on both sides of the river were within the town boundary, while the valuable dry fields above were owned by various other landowners. At a later date, when the Town corporation reclaimed these areas, small strips of valuable dry ground was added to the Town’s lands on the Whippingham parish and the Carisbrooke parish sides [east side of river Medina, and north of the Lukely Brook/Medina River junction respectively].

The Quay Arts Centre
The current Quay Arts building was originally known as the Porter Store. It was used as a bonded warehouse by Mew Langton’s Brewery where Island-brewed beers were stored on the ground floor, and spirits stored on the first. In 1884, the Rope Store was built by Robert Croucher.
The complex features three art galleries, a 134 capacity theatre, a crafts shop, conferencing facilities and a cafe and was fully refurbished in 1997 by architect Tony Fretton. The Quay Arts owns and operates Jubilee Stores, also located on Newport Quay.
The Quay Arts was first proposed in 1974 by a painter Anne Lewington and graphic designer Nigel Lewington, who proposed the idea of a building to house an arts centre for the island. Disused brewery warehouses on the Quay side at Newport Harbour were first identified as a suitable site, and is the location of the Quay Arts Centre today.
In 1976 the buildings were sold to the Isle of Wight Council for £14,000, and in 1978 the Isle of Wight Visual Arts Centre Ltd was formed to manage and operate the Quay Arts Centre.
Since the centre opened in 1982 flooding has been a recurring problem to facilities on the ground floor, and in 1993 a flood wall was built to help prevent further flooding, although it didn’t stop completely. A successful redevelopment bid to the National Lottery in 1996 led to a complete refurbishment and re-opening in 1998. This also included further development of the adjacent Rope Store, also to house art
Island Quakers –

Nos l5 & 19 with the 2 blocks the other side of the river and adjacent to the viaduct form a group
Listing NGR: SZ5009189365 Grade II 1 Feb. 1972
15a-c Converted quayside warehouse now forming three terraced properties
17 Semi-detached property
19 Warehouse of 3 storeys in red brick, with central and ground floor hatches and 2 windows with cast iron traceried bars. A small round window in the gable end, which is treated as a pediment with moulded brick capping. Purple brick arches to the hatches and windows. The Sea Street front and eastern side are now cement rendered, but the brick work remains intact on the river front. Also mid C18. Slate roof.
Lupton Electrics – 1971
19a-c Converted to flats

here is the Quay (1891)
6 Fountain Inn
Albany Lodge (151) – masonic meeting – 1815
W Holdeck – 1852
Thomas Coleman – publican – 1859-1875
Frank Coleman – 1879
Sarah Coleman 1865-1880
Sarah Coleman – Innkeeper, widow – 1881
Emma Livington – boarder, assistant
Mrs Smoat – 1885
Samuel Leigh – water carrier – 1889
Angus Leigh and wife Matilda – 1890
16 property renumbered
Samuel Leigh – Licensed Victualler & Mariner – 1891-1898
Agnes Leigh
7 sons & daughters
Mrs Carley – 1898-1909
Emily Ellen Davies – Innkeeper, widow – 1901
Ada Brewer – domestic servant
17 Edwin Morgan, shipping carriers & coal & coke merchant
18 William Wheeler, sail maker
John Bull, manure agent
Charles Odell, coal merchant
19 Shepard Brothers, general carriers & to the South Western Railway Co.
21 Mrs Dallimore
22 Scovell Bros, millers stores
23 Edward Morgan – town carrier & stores
24 Edward Way & Son, millers stores
Alex Sharp & Co, timber merchants
Alex Sharp & Co Ltd, timber importers – 1960
Samuel & Daniel Pring, coal merchants
W B Mew Langton & Co Ltd, cooperage

Nos 25 to 37 (odd) form a group
25
27
29 Newport & IOW Coal Co – 1889
30 Mrs Williams
31 Harry James
33 Walter H Shields, loan office
35-37 Mid C18 similar to Nos 25 to 33 but in painted brick, set back in courtyards, gabled slate roofs, hatches in centre with 2 light casements to side, 3 on north west elevation of No 37 which projects forward from No 35.
Listing NGR: SZ5017989343
These properties no longer exist having been demolished and now form part of a carpark associated with Isle of Wight Council Offices.

(South West Side)
backway to Swan hotel, off High Street
brewers yard
Salvation Army Barracks – 1891

Quay Street
41 Dolphin Inn, a corner property situated at Quay Street and Sea Street (pic). This dates from around 1711. In the census of 1871 & 1881 it was listed as No.62. The bricked-in windows, using lavender headers, may be ‘window tax’ or may simple have been a design feature. A well known former landlady, Mrs Prangnell, said in 1969, at the age of 91, that she had been a Mews tenant for 68 years.
1871 James Woodnutt, Coal Merchant
Ellen Woodnutt/Wife
Elizabeth Woodnutt/Daughter
1875 Jas Woodnutt
1881 Charles Odell, Inn Keeper & Coal Merchant
Judith Odell/Wife
Walter W Odell
Edward Woodnutt/Brother in Law, Marin
John Short/Actor
William Short/Actor
1885 Mrs Ellen Odell
1889 Bernard Rice
1891 Bernard Rice/Licensed Victualler
Lucy Rice/Wife
Charles J Odell/Brother in Law, Telegraph Boy
Walter W Odell/Brother in Law, Errand Boy
Henry Whitmarsh/Lodger, Army Pensioner, Widow
1898 Warden Jay
1911 Edward Busby
1920-1927 Mrs M Busby

43 John Callaghan
44 William Gray, mariner
46 Frederick James Croucher (1891)
Crouchers Ltd, Removals premises in Quay Street in 1910 now Car Park
Harry Edward Croucher
47 Medina House – Arnold Frank Sheppard
48 Francis Albert Joyce
49 James Cooper
50 Mrs Linington
51 Banner Inn

1859-1870 R Auger
1871 Elizabeth Auger [Innkeeper, widow] [property recorded as No.71]
1878-1885 Henry Lockhart
Elizabeth Lockhart
1889 Mrs Elizabeth Lockhart
1891 Elizabeth Lockhart [Licensed Victualler, widow]
Edward Woodnutt – Retired Mariner
Emily Rogers – Widow
George Rogers
1898 Mrs Ann E Cotton
1901 Henry Kerley – Forman P O Telegraph
Fanny Kerley
Joseph & Percy Cotton
William Denton – Labourer
1908 Closed being refered for compensation
1960 demolished, the last occupant being Donald Brown, who was a skipper of Croucher’s vessel
“Chamois” and took the boat to France at the evacuation of Dunkirk.

52 William D Mew
53 Mrs Frampton
54 Charles Hobbs, bailiffs’ assistant
55 Arthur Odell, mariner
56 Frederick Gustar

Holyrood street

Queen Charlotte 1818
To be Let by Auction on Wednesday 27th May 1818, at the Bugle Inn, in Newport between the hours of six and eight in the evening (subject to the conditions to be then and there produced):- All that free and good-accustomed Public House, with a brewery, malt-house, and kiln attached to the same known by the name of Queen Charlotte, situated in Sea Street, in Newport aforesaid, now in the occupation of Mr John Corrie. The house comprises two good parlours, a large kitchen, a bar, pantry, and larder, four best bedrooms, three bedrooms in the attic, and adjoining the premises a very convenient brewery, malt-kiln, and floors for making malt with excellent beer cellars and every conveniency required in the above business.
The situation of the premises is desirable being near Newport Quay, where there is a great thorough-fare. The brewhouse has been recently built; and will be let for the unexpired term of fifteen years, commencing from the 11th October last. Possession may be had immediately. – Hampshire Telegraph 18 May 1818.

Formely warehouses occupied the area, fronting onto Sea Street and backing onto the river Medina

16 Anchor Inn – 1888-1889

Nos 26 to 40 (even) form a group
No 26 (Seymour House)
(GPO property). Fine late C18 house of 3 storeys, purple grey headers with red brick dressings. Plain parapet with stone coping. 5 windows, the centre blocked, recessed, sash, no glazing bars to ground floor. Central door of 6 fielded panels, semi-circular fanlight with radial glazing bars with ornamental swags between. Very fine moulded wood doorcase, with panelled reveals, quarter Doric columns, fluted frieze with roundels, dentil cornice over.
Listing NGR: SZ5005389352 Grade II 1 Oct. 1953

No. 28 Semi-detached property
Early C19. 2 storeys purple grey headers with red brick dressings, plinth. Gable end slate roof. 3 windows, recessed, sash glazing bars, block sills. Round headed doorway with semi-circular fanlight.
Listing NGR: SZ5006189349 Grade II 1 Feb. 1972

No 30 Seal House
Sloop Inn first appears in the 1750 directory and subsequent directories up to 1871 census, today this premises is known as Seal House. An advertisment was discovered above the entrance during restoration work which reads “Frederick King Licensed to sell beer by Retail to be drunk on the premises”. (pic)
Fine early C18 house: 2 storeys in red brick with plinth and moulded band. Heavy wood modillion cornice. Old tile roof. 5 windows with segmental heads and flush wood frames. Early C19 wood doorcase with fluted pilasters and plain frieze and cornice. 8-panel door. Good ground floor contemporary panelled room, also staircase.
Listing NGR: SZ5006889342 Grade II 1 Oct. 1953

No.32 Small timber frame weatherboarded warehouse of 2 storeys. One window sash, glazing bars, moulded frame over yard door. Gable end old tile roof.
Listing NGR: SZ5007889344 Grade II 1 Feb. 1972

No.34 to 38 Early C19 red brick with grey headers, red brick dressings. Stone plinth. Low pitch gable end slate roof. No 34 3 windows, centre one blind, No 36 2 windows, No 38 one window and hatch (used as warehouse). Windows recessed, sash, glazing bars intact Nos 34 and 38 block sills, flat brick arches. Recessed modern doors, Nos 34 and 36. Yard door with segmental arch to No 38.
Listing NGR: SZ5008589344 Grade II 1 Feb. 1972
34 Harbour Cottage
36 Gull Cottage
38
40 Flat/marsonette
46
52 dates 1697 no longer here.
James Thomas & Co. provisions merchant – 1898

Compiled by Roy Richardson, 2015

A Victorian Hospital

This article is a short history and description of the ‘Royal National Hospital for Chest Diseases’ which was at Ventnor, Isle of Wight from 1868 – 1964. It describes both the era leading up to and then the foundation of the Hospital, through the 96 years of its working life to its closure in 1964, demolition in 1968 and then transference of its site to the creation of the current Ventnor Botanic Garden.

Written by Guy Eades with the assistance of pharmacist Gordon Chubb it also seeks to throw some light on the treatment of patients drawn from contemporary patient records now in the Isle of Wight County archives. The article has been made possible by the generous support, advice & contributions of Robin McInnes – both as the owner of many of the images illustrating the article and as a local historian, by Jonyth Hill & John Curtis of Ventnor Botanic Garden, and the County Archives Office Newport – Isle of Wight Heritage Collection Cothey Bottom and Carisbrooke Castle
Museum who gave permission to reproduce items in their collections.

Available on the Isle of Wight Hospitals website at www.iowhospitals.org.uk and also as a downloadable PDF file at the same site and also from The Healing Arts website.

Quay Street, Newport

Quay Street
1st mentioned after 16th century

(South East Side)

Nos 1 & 2
Early C19. Plain but well proportioned. 3 storeys, purple grey brick with red brick dressings. Low pitch hipped slate roof. One window each, recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills, flat brick arches. Round headed doorways with semi-circular fanlights. 3 steps.
Listing NGR: SZ5010689302 Grade II 1 February 1972
Harry Jupe, cattle dealer – 1889
Premises Crown Court – 1990s

3 Frederick James Croucher born here (1879-1881)

6 Crouchers Ltd – 1908

10 & 11
One building, early C19 3 storeys stucco. Hipped slate roof, plain wood eaves, bands between storeys as sill course to 1st floor. 4 windows 2nd floor recessed sash, glazing bars, block sills. 1st floor 3 windows in moulded rendered surrounds, sash glazing bars except in tripartite window
of No 10. Ground floor as on 1st floor but without surrounds. Doorways paired, recessed doors of 6 fielded panels, flanked by Doric pilasters with plain stucco frieze and cornice over.
Listing NGR: SZ5009889281 Grade II 1 October 1953

12 & 13
Pair of houses, but one late C17 or early C18 building. Painted brick. 2 storeys. High plinth. Heavy plain wood modillion eaves cornice. 2 windows to each house, the ground floor being joined. Old tile roof. 2 dormers. No 12 has a moulded brick band, and No 13 continues the line of this with plain wood. No 12 has a 6-panel door with rectangular hood, with heavy moulding, on wood brackets. No 13 has a recessed door with panelled reveals, and a small wood C18 doorcase with open modillion pediment.
Listing NGR: SZ5009189264 Grade II 1 October 1953

No 16
A H Cross & Co.
Endole c/o A H Cross & Co

Nos 17 to 21 (consec) form a group

No 17 (Town Clerk’s Office)
Mid C18. Stuccoed with old tile roof. 3 windows, all modernised, 2 dormers. Plinth. Wood doorcase with open modillion pediment, simple fanlight and panelled reveals.
Listing NGR: SZ5007789260 1.10.53.
Henry Richard Hooper – clerk-Barton Burial – 1889

17 Quay Street is a substantial Grade II Listed terrace property most recently used as Council offices, in the heart of Newport and within the Newport Conservation area. The property extends over three floors and has a courtyard style garden to the rear. Planning permission for change of use from current office accommodation to residential was granted in January 2005.

The property was conveyed to the Council in 1944 and has had several uses since that time including being leased to the Citizens Advice Bureau during the early 1990’s and more recently used as office accommodation for the Councils own Leisure Services. In winter 2007, Leisure
Services vacated the building and relocated to the Guildhall.

18
Early C19. 3 storeys. Purple brick with red brick dressings. One window. Round headed door with simple fanlight and 2 moulded panels.
Listing NGR: SZ5007289252 Grade II 1 February 1972

Nos 19 & 20
One mid C18 building in chequered brick, with band and high plinth. Eaves cornice with ball ornament. 6 windows, recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills. Slate roof with one dormer. 2 very good doorcases, both with panelled reveals. No 19 has fluted pilasters and shallow moulded cornice. 6 panel door with rectangular fanlight containing an elliptical traceried light. No 20 has narrow fluted pilasters, moulded brackets, and an open moulded pediment and traceried rectangular fanlight.
Listing NGR: SZ5006089243 Grade II 1.10.53.
19 Official Receivers Office (1900)
19-21 RJR Solicitors

No 20

No 21
Late C18 gault brick. Old tile roof. 2 windows, one upper wood bay. Good wood doorcase with frieze of “Chinese” design, and projecting pediment with panelled soffit on moulded brackets.
Listing NGR: SZ5006089243 1.10.53.
John Curtis Millgate, born 1867 lived here in 1914. He was educated at Portland House Academy, Articled to William Tucker Stratton of Newport and commenced independent pratice in architure in 1891.
Ernest I Smith & Son – 1971

24 Edwin Broomfield

Guildhall
In 1860 the Post Office was at the top of Quay Street next to the Town Hall.
Fire Brigade, Town Hall (1889)

Nos 27 to 31 (consec) form a group

No 27 Warburton’s Hotel
This was originally built in 1732 and was once the home of the Mayor of Newport and later to a succession of Surgeons. mid-Victorian hotel constructed to cater to the gentry and those further up the social ladder. Indeed by 1900 the County Press reported that the hotel”which is one of the few hostelries enjoying the distinction of catering for the Royal Household, have received the Royal Warrant of Appointment and the Royal Coat of Arms of attractive design, now occupying a prominent position in the alcove of the hotel front.
It was also an important auction house and many properties and land sales were transacted under its auspices.
With the demise of the Bugle the hotel has prospered as a central hostelry for travelers and The Hotel was named Calverts in 1970 and now provides 32 en-suite bedrooms, bars, restaurant and function rooms. continues today under the name of Calverts Hotel.
1871 John Grove
1878 Robert Stratton
1889 Herbert George Groundsell – hon. Secretary-IOW Cycling Club
1897 Walter Thomas James
1911 Mr Hinds
1924/7 George Sims Richardson
1939 Leslie Thomas Green
1951 Miss. V Kight
(Calverts Hotel)
Late C18 with good wood frieze, and parapet. Cement rendering detracts from the general effect. 3 storeys. 3 windows, the 2 upper storeys having bays, with a central niche between them, over the entrance door, both door and niche having plain stone architraves. Rusticated plinth sides.
Listing NGR: SZ5000189226 1.10.53.
Sandringham Hotels

Next to Calverts runs a long narrow Watchbell Lane.

Nos 28 to 40 (even) form a group

Nos 28 to 30 (consec)
Early C19 row of 3 storeyed houses, grey headers with yellow brick dressings. Low pitch gable end slate roof with projecting eaves, rendered band between storeys. 2 windows per house, recessed, sash, glazing bars intact on 2nd floor, flat brick arches, block sills. Late C19 shop front No 28, modern No 29. No 30 office dated 1880, pointed windows, with keystones incised decoration on arches. Frieze of decorated tiles and central ceramic plaque.
Listing NGR: SZ5000489232 1 February 1972
No 30
Joseph Grove, curator, IOW Museum (1889)
S W Wendes – 1971
Solent Co – marketing and communications – Suite 7. -2006
Bluebird Care (IOW) – home care agency – Suite 6. – 2013
British Marine Federation, Isle of Wight Branch.. Secretary Tim Anderson.
BMF membership covers a wide variety of marine based industries with many growth areas developing around research and developments and technologies associated with marine manufacturing.
Neil Hamer – Analytical Psychotherapist
Independent Arts
Island Holiday Media Ltd

No 31
Early C19 2 storeys purple grey headers with red brick dressings. Roof hidden by red brick parapet with stucco coping. Stucco block cornice continues line of string course on adjoining row. 2 windows, recessed, sash, stucco surrounds, projecting segmental arches, block sills. 1 console survives to each. Ground floor tripartite window with same surround as above and with a keystone. Recessed entrance with side lights, door of 4 fielded panels, 2 glazed, camber headed fanlight.
Listing NGR: SZ5001089242 1 February 1972
31 Police Station (1889)
Victim Support

Methodist Church, built as the Bible Christian church 1879-80, by Frederick Mew. Wildly Gothic front with gables and asymmetrical pointed turret in great contrast to the Baptish church frontage of seven years earlier.

Nos 35 to 39 (consec) and 41 form a group
Nos 35 to 37 (consec)
Same premises. Early C19, 3 small houses of 2 storeys. No 36 refaced in red brick. Nos 35 and 37 grey headers with red brick dressings. Gable end slate roofs, wood eaves cornice to Nos 35 and 36, eaves hidden by frieze and raised cornice No 37, which has stone band between storeys and stone plinth. 2 windows No 35 segment headed recessed, sash, block sills. Frame of mid C19 shop front with panelled pilasters, brackets supporting cornice. No 36 has one window sash, moulded flush wood architrave camber headed with rubbed brick segmental arch, block sill. Ground floor square window with plain wood architrave, red header flat arch carried over garage door, in plain wood frame. No 57 2 windows; one tripartite, sash, glazing bars, camber headed, the other in slightly recessed bay, narrower, square headed, also with glazing bars. Ground floor tripartite window as
above. Recessed door of 3 fielded panels with a semi circular fanlight, architrave, rubbed brick arch over.
Listing NGR: SZ5003789272 1 February 1972

No 37
Frederick Blake – solicitor (1889)
Parker & Gurney-Champion – solicitors

No 38
Early C19, 3 storeys stucco with rusticated ground floor. Slate roof hidden behind cornice and parapet. 4 windows the centre 2 breaking forward, recessed, sash, glazing bars End floor, block sills, the centre 2 on 1st floor originally had venetian shutters and retain a small cast iron balcony. Round headed doorway each side, one leading to passage. The house door is recessed, of 3 fielded panels and has a traceried fanlight.
Listing NGR: SZ5004589274 1.10.53.

No 39
Late C18 chequered purple and red brick. Good wood eaves cornice. Slate roof. 2 dormers, 4 windows, no glazing bars. Good wood doorcase with engaged columns and open dentil pediment. Blind traceried fanlight. A slightly later frontage to a 2 storey extension, with 2 windows and 2
hipped dormers. The ground floor windows have round heads. Old tile roof.
Listing NGR: SZ5004989281
Smart Training & Recruitment
Island Volunteers 2002
Island P C Services Ltd
Crossroads Assn.
No 40
Town Council Offices

No 41
(Newport Quay Hotel)
2 storey purple and red (painted white) brick C18 house. 4 windows. 2 dormers. No glazing bars. Plinth, moulded wood eaves cornice, and old tile roof. A good late C18 moulded wood doorcase with engaged fluted columns, triglyph frieze and pediment.
Listing NGR: SZ5005489294 1.10.53.
Newport Quay Hotel, This 17th century Grade II listed property, with 12 en suite letting rooms, has a host of character features including timber beams, panelled walls, display plinths and fireplaces.

42
Shepard Bros. Ltd – carriers and removers
Lucas Fetter & Partners
Suites C And D, The Loft, High quality, modern town centre offices within a former architects studio, converted from a former chapel & warehouse development, 2 self contained office suites at first floor level.
The Children’s Society
Wight Mortgage Ltd
Relate-Outpost

Nos 43 to 48 (consec) form a group
Nos 43 to 46 (consec)
Early C19 row of cottages. 2 storeys grey headers with red brick dressings, headers more yellow on Nos 45, 46. Gable end slate roof, shallow wood eaves cornice. Stone plinth to Nos 43, 44. No 43 is
larger with 2 windows, otherwise one per house, except 1st floor of No 45 where there are 2. All recessed, sash, glazing bars intact No 43, block sills, flat brick arches. Recessed doors of 6 and 4 fielded panels, doorcase of thin Doric pilasters and bracketed hoods.
Listing NGR: SZ5007989319

No 43 Quay House

No 45 John William Whyborn (1889)

No 46

No 47
Mid C19 3 storeys red brick with yellow brick dressings. Steep pitch tiled gable end roof. Inlaid yellow brick bands between storeys. 2 windows recessed, sash, block sills, segmental brick arches. Recessed door of 4 fielded panels, semi circular fanlight, yellow brick arch over.
Listing NGR: SZ5008789327

No 48 Dolphin Cottage
Early C18 house of 2 storeys painted brick. Gable end slate roof, wood eaves cornice band between storeys and plinth. 5 windows some with original casements and glazing bars, flush wood frames, block sills. Recessed door of 6 fielded panels, doorcase of Doric pilasters frieze and pediment.
Listing NGR: SZ5009289331
Henry Mew – shoemaker (1889)

No 49 (Dolphin Inn)
1758-1970
Corner of Quay Street qv. Early C18 red brick corner building. Purple brick bands. Plinth. Old tile roof, hipped. 5 windows, alternately blocked. 2 storeys. Plain mid C19 rectangular stucco doorcase. Dates on central bricks in the upper blocked windows, 1758, but this would appear to refer to the alterations at that date, as the house is probably earlier.
Listing NGR: SZ5010289337 1.10.53.
1854 Thomas Frampton
1859 Walter Woodnutt
1871 Walter Woodnutt
1871 James Woodnutt – Coal merchant & wife Ellen
1875 James Woodnutt
1878 James Woodnutt
1879 Charles Odell
1881 Charles Odell – Inn keeper and Coal merchant & wife Judith
Walter Woodnutt – Mariner
1885 Mrs Ellen Odell
1889 Bernard Rice
1891 Bernard Rice – Licensed Victualler & wife Lucy
1898 Warden Jay
1911 Edward Busby
1920 Mrs Mary Busby
1924 Mrs Mary Busby
1927 Mrs Mary Busby
1939 Mrs Sarah Pragnell
1951-1969 Mrs Pragnell

Information up to Summer 2015

Holyrood Street, Newport

Holyrood Street
1st mentioned in 15th century

Church Place became Upper Holyrood Street in 1861
Junction of Hollyrood Street and High Street was a little island of houses known as the Falcon. In it a building of two shops was let by bailiffs in 1405, the first floor large room became the new court house. Also became known as the Audit House, this was demolished in 1637. This was replaced by a new town hall in Purbeck stone and this was replaced in 1816 by the Nash building.

East Side
Railway Medina
The Medina Inn is believed to date from the middle of the 19th century. Its position being on the corner of Quay Street and Holyrood Street was fortuitous for when the railway came to Newport in the 1860s, it found itself adjacent to Newport’s Railway station and swiftly adopted the prefix “The Railway”
It was never really under any threat from the Whitbread pub closures, it was too close to their depot for them to risk the embarrassment of a rival brewery taking over the lease. It survives having seen the railway come and go. The large brewery site opposite being swept away after a mysterious fire.
1854 Mr. Cross (Medina Inn)
1871 Mrs E Rainbird (Medina Railway Tavern)
1878/9 Thomas Hayden (Medina Inn)
1915 )
1924 ) Sid Johnson (Railway Commercial Hotel)
1927 Mrs Ivy Richmond (Railway Commercial Hotel)
1939 E Whitmore (Railway Commercial Hotel)
1951 E Whitmore (Medina Railway Tavern)
1971 A W Webb

Junction with Sea Street

(East Side)
Nos 1 & 2
C18 2 storeys grey headers. Gable end old tile roof, stepped header eaves cornice. 2 Victorian bay windows have been added to 1st floor of 3 lights, sash, plain strips, frieze, cornice, block sills. Ground floor has the frame of a mid C19 shop front. Plate glass window to left of door and one of 3 lights to the right, both with colonettes and curved upper corners to the panes. The door is panelled at the bottom, the rest glazed, rectangular fanlight also wth curved upper corners. The whole flanked by Doric pilasters supporting cornice partly taken up by blind case.
Listing NGR: SZ4997789360 Grade II 1972
1-2 Post House Cottages
Holyrood Galleries – 2010
One Holyrood Street – Antiques and Art Gallery – 2014
One Holyrood – Accomadation
2 W G Stapleton (1971)

3 )
4 ) Minstrels on the Hill – Antiques
5 Apple Accountancy Services
6
7 )
8 ) Mems Asian Cuisine
The Smokehouse
8 National Probation Service (2000+) entrance from Sea Street
9
10
11 Worlds End P. H.
The Wren’s Nest
12 Samuel Mundell – carrier (1886?)
Samuel Mundel – carrier (1906)
Designer Nail Bar
fen and ned
13
14 Primrose Fine Foods

Nos 15 to 20 (consec) form a group
Nos 15, 15A & 16
C18 2 storeys purple grey headers with red brick dressings. Gable end old tile roof, 3 dormers, dentil wood eaves cornice, inlaid red brick string course. 3 windows, recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills. 3 bays windows on 1st floor of 3 lights, sash, glazing bars in upper half Nos 15 and 16, plain strips frieze and cornice. No 15 has reeded pilasters to wall, panelled aprons. No 15 has recessed door of 6 fielded panels, semi-circular fanlight and red brick arch over. No 15A retains the frame of a contemporary shop front: panelled door with a rectangular fanlight, cornice over the whole. No 16 has a recessed panelled door with doorcase of Doric pilasters and projecting cornice,
small rectangular shop window with glazing bars, cornice above.
Listing NGR: SZ4998289282 Grade II GV 1972

Minerva Place
C J Coleman – 1806
Inland Revenue (1889)
No 15 was a printing works started up in 1816 by William Yelf and the business continued right up to the 1990s. The business was run by William Wheeler, William Richards, George Henry, Frank Wheeler, George Yelf, finally by Ella Yelf-Gustar, daughter of Frank Wheeler. Yelf Brothers Ltd (1971)
The premises have now been transfored into a Pine furniture shop.
The Furniture Emporium
Be Fit
Dollshouse by Design
16
No 17
C18 2 storeys painted brick. Gable end steep pitch old tile roof, 2 dormers with glazing bars, brick eaves cornice with dentil headers. 3 windows, centre one blind, sash, moulded flush wood frames, block sills, flat arches. Modern shop front.
Listing NGR: SZ4997789315 Grade II 1972
17 Pets with Hart

Nos 18 & 19
C18 2 storeys painted brick. Gable end steep pitch old tile roof, 2 dormers with glazing bars, brick eaves cornice with dentil headers. 3 windows, centre one blind, sash, moulded flush wood frames, block sills, flat arches. Modern shop front.
Listing NGR: SZ4997789315
18 G & H Ancell – 1906-1934
19 Dabells Flooring & Rugs (2014)
No 20 (County Court Office)
Tall early C19 house. 3 storeys purple grey headers with red brick dressings. Gable end slate roof with projecting wood eaves. 3 windows, recessed, sash, glazing bars intact above ground floor, fretted blind cases 1st and 2nd floor. Recessed door with semi-circular fanlight, red brick arch over. Stone plinth.
Listing NGR: SZ4999189261 Grade II 1972
20 Mia Thai Restaurant
Ripa Tandoori
Volcanic Steakhouse
Rendervous Bar Bistro – closed 2015

21 Visual Impact Ladiesware
The Big Brand Warehouse Co.
No 22
C18 house part of the same premises as Nos 131, 132 High Street qv. 2 storeys painted brick, only the 1st floor survives. Gable end roof now hung with slate but fine heavy wood modillion cornice survives. 5 windows centre one smaller. Sash, 2 retain their glazing bars, moulded flush wood architraves. Modern shop front.
Listing NGR: SZ4996189224 Grade II Delisted 1972
Holyrood Chambers
Samuel Wheeler – Official Receiver 1891
The Shen Clinic
Unit 1 – Ringmaster Tattooing

High Street

West side
1861 a Mr Wavell, ran a wine shop “Wine Fair”
Vine Inn
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
1871/Joseph H Wavell/Licensed Victualler/34/Newport, Hampshire/Census
1871/Jane Wavell/Wife/33/Carisbrooke, Hampshire/Census
1871/Joseph H Wavell/Son/8/Newport, Hampshire/Census
1871/Maria J Wavell/Daughter/6/Newport, Hampshire/Census
1871/William Wavell/Son/4/Newport, Hampshire/Census
1871/Henry A Wavell/Son/2/Newport, Hampshire/Census
1871/Jonathan S Wavell/Son/1/Newport, Hampshire/Census
1871/Maria Stark/Mother in Law, Widow/74//Census
1871/Mary Ann Marsh/Barmaid/21/Chillerton, Hampshire/Census
1871/Ellen Welsh/General Servant/17/Newport, Hampshire/Census
1871/Elizabeth Watson/Nursemaid/16/Carisbrooke, Hampshire/Census

1875/Joseph Henry Wavell/../../../Kellys Directory

1881/Joseph H Wavell/Licensed Victualler/44/Newport, Isle of Wight/Census
1881/Jane Wavell/Wife/43/Newport, Isle of Wight/Census
1881/Maria J Wavell/Daughter/16/Newport, Isle of Wight/Census
1881/William J Wavell/Son/14/Newport, Isle of Wight/Census
1881/Harry A Wavell/Son/12/Newport, Isle of Wight/Census
1881/Jonathan S Wavell/Son/11/Newport, Isle of Wight/Census
1881/Millicent E Wavell/Daughter/6/Newport, Isle of Wight/Census
1881/Grace Wavell/Daughter/2/Newport, Isle of Wight/Census
1881/Elizabeth Burt/Barmaid/21/London, Middlesex/Census
1881/Alice M M Palmer/Barmaid/21/Landport, Hampshire/Census
1881/Caroline Watson/Cook/21/Newport, Isle of Wight/Census
1881/Eliza Harbor/Nurse/15/Newport, Isle of Wight/Census
1885/Joseph Henry Wavell/../../../Kellys Directory
1889/Joseph Henry Wavell/../../../Kellys Directory

1891/Joseph Hy Wavell/Licensed Victualler/54/Newport, Isle of Wight/Census
1891/Jane Wavell/Wife/53/Newport, Isle of Wight/Census
1891/Grace Wavell/Daughter/12/Newport, Isle of Wight/Census
1891/Joseph H Wavell/Son, Assistant/28/Newport, Isle of Wight/Census
1891/Ada A Wavell/Daughter in Law/24/Newport, Isle of Wight/Census
1891/Joseph Hy Wavell/Grandson/2/Newport, Isle of Wight/Census
1891/William J Wavell/Son, Assistant/24/Newport, Isle of Wight/Census
1891/Ada Jane Wavell/Daughter in Law/23/Yarmouth, Isle of Wight/Census
1891/Claude W F Wavell/Grandson/2/Newport, Isle of Wight/Census
1891/Wilfred W Wavell/Grandson/9 months/Newport, Isle of Wight/Census
1891/Amy H M Grigg/Visitor/12/Freshwater, Isle of Wight/Census
1891/Caroline S Hunt/Assistant/26/Newport, Isle of Wight/Census
1891/Agnes Hawkins/Nursemaid/12/Carisbrook, Isle of Wight/Census
1898/Joseph Henry Wavell/../../../Kellys Directory
1901/Joseph Henry Wavell/Son/11/Newport, Isle of Wight/Census
1901/Martin John Wavell/Son/5/Newport, Isle of Wight/Census
1901/Clara Davis/Barmaid/20/Ryde, Isle of Wight/Census
1911/Joseph Hy Wavell/../../../Kellys Directory
1920/Joseph Hy Wavell/../../../Kellys Directory
1927/Frederick Isaacson/../../../Kellys Directory
Change of ownership post 2000
Hong Kong Express, Restaurant. Vine House

Three Tuns
The old inn sat adjacent to the Vine, coceivably dating from the early part of the 19th century.
Rules and Regulations of the Royal Britons Benefit Society, Established 3 March 1813.
At the inaugral meeting held that day at the Three Tuns Inn.
“That when it may please God to afflict any member with sickness, etc., he will here find that relief which will be a comfort to him, when perhaps neither his own circumstances or any friend at that time might be able to afford him necessary relief”.
The premises sold at auction in 1820.
1839 Jeremiah Fry
1859 Charlotte Fuller
1878/9 Edward Billows.
1886 Edward Billows
1900 the premises was purchased by Frank Burton and converted into a drapers shop. In subseqent years it was demolished and currently the rear provides a delivery arear to the Hong Kong Express Restaurant and adjcent premises of Island Traders.

No 23
C18 house refaced towards middle of C19 with red headers. 3 storeys. Roof hidden by parapet which retains some older brickwork, stone coping. Rendered painted cornice added. 2 windows 2nd floor on block sill course, recessed, sash, glazing bars, broad rendered architraves. 1st floor flat fronted bag of 3 lights. Doric pilasters frieze and modillion cornice break forward slightly, block sill. Good late Victorian or Edwardian shop front with panelled pilasters.
Listing NGR: SZ4995389229 Grade II 1972
23 Dyer (1971)
D F McCallum & Associates
D & S Trading 2nd floor
Nos 24 & 25
Early C19 building. 2 storeys red brick once painted. Gable end tiled roof. 4 windows, recessed, sash glazing bars, flat brick arches. Recessed door of 4 fielded panels in doorcase of engaged Doric columns with projecting cornice. Over present garage door with heavy wood lintel are the words
“Read’s Posting Establishment”, in 1886 it was known as Hobbeys. It provided livery stables for tradesmen and for horse-draawn taxis. It later became an undertakers garage.
Listing NGR: SZ4995489246 Grade II 1972
1886 George Kent who lived in Chale parked his van in Holyrood Street, which was also on the direct route from Newport Railway Station, and all passaangers and other trade had to pass by.

24a Newport Ale House
The bar area literally a large front room. Opening in June 2011, it specialises in real ales and home cooked food.
Read’s old Posting Establishment, Livery Stables.
24b Gumbrells – closed
Sam Sam’s – Sweets – closed may 2015
25
No 26
Part of same premises as Nos 24 and 25. 3 storeys slightly lower, refaced in red brick with square headed gable with stone coping. Gable end old tile roof behind. 2nd floor casement with modern cement lintel, glazing bars block sill. 1st floor window of 2 lights sash, moulded flush wood architrave. Modern cement lintel with keystone, block sill. Ground floor: recessed door of 4 incised panels, panelled reveals and soffit. Good doorcase of Doric pilasters with incised panels, frieze
with dentil band and cornice. Mid C19 shop front frame with panelled pilasters, fluted brackets with incised roundels on heads, supporting cornice.
Listing NGR: SZ4995189250 Grade II 1972
26 Adrienne Wroath
27 Foley (1971)
27a Collectors Centre
Wight Gold Coins

Sun Inn
A will published in September 1713 of Henry Hopkins, mentions a messuage in Holyrood Street, called the Sun Inn, late occupied by Edmund Potts, in trust for Joan Hopkins, then in trust to sell, money after executors charges to be equally divided between nephews and nieces of sisters Alice Mudd and Joan Farrington (deceased) and Mary Porter and brother John Hopkins, his children and his brother, William Hopkin’s son.
The inn was linked to Assembly rooms situated over Read’s Livery Stables and there were extensive outbuildings and storerooms attached to the inn.
The end came suddenly in 1978, Whitbreads was repainting the outside and sprucing the old place up, then it closed and went up for sale.
1859 John Tooner
1871 Edwin Flux
1878 James Cox
1879 Henry Thomas
1915 Mrs Jane Booth
1924/7 Ernnest John Peck
1939 Robert S Brown
1947/51 Robert S Brown
Converted to shop premises
1978
Benedicts
28 Andrew Ross

Junction with Lugley Street

The main portion on the west side is Hursts. In the 1800s barges brought wares up to Newport Quay. The site which now stands has swallowed up a number of different establishments including a chapel and public toilets. Before that the area contained cottages, taverns and even a coal merchant.
Public Toilets
House
Jehovah’s Witnesses (1970s-)

Albany Tavern
After the Parliamentry Election of 1841, the Liberals published very large bills giving details of who voted for the candidates. It was decided at a meeting of Liberals at the Albany Tavern that the liberals would do likewise in the future. (Newport in Bygone Days – Eldridge)
1852 Eli Wilkins, brewer and maltster
1859 George Wilkins
1867 no application for licence at Borough Petty Sessions.
Converted premises
F & K E Scovell
29 Sun Inn
1911 Maze

29 J Hewett Sharland, Corn Merchant – 1885
30
31
32
33 Primitive Methodist Chapel
Charles Wheeler purchased in 1886
William Hurst joined company in 1891
29-33 W Hurst & Son
No 34
Late C18 2 storeys purple grey brick with red brick dressings in the same style and under the same old tile roof as Nos 73, 74 Crocker Street qv.One casement dormer. One on Holyrood Street, sash, moulded flush wood frames. Mid C19 shop front on Crocker Street end Holyrood Street, large window to each street with glazing bars, block sills. Double doors recessed next to corner on Holyrood Street, 2 fielded panels, glazed upper part, blind semi-circular fanlight, frieze and cornice on both street fronts supported by Doric pilasters.
Listing NGR: SZ4995389359 Grade II 1972
34 Royal Oak Inn
The Leigh family ran the pub in an unbroken term of tenancy from 1839 to 1900, it always being a Mew Langton house.
1859 Samuel Leigh
1871/8 James Leigh
1879 Samuel Leigh
1910 Capt. Leigh
1915 Charles Johnson
1924 Charles Johnson
1927 Mrs Sarah Johnson
A Capt. Leigh ran a barge called the “David” which carried trade for the Royal Brewery between Lymington and Newport.
34 Printing Office

Junction with Crocker Street

Nos 35 & 36
Late C18 cottages 2 storeys red brick with some grey headers on small rubble plinth. Gable end old tile roof, stepped red brick eaves cornice. 2 windows casements of 3 lights, glazing bars, camber headed frames, segmental red header arches. Ground floor casements the same but of 3 lights, wood block sills. Doors either end recessed in plain wood architraves.
Listing NGR: SZ4995389359 Grade II 1972
35 ) private houses
36 )
37 ) private property

CROCKER STREET
(North Side)
Hop Store
(Part of premises occupied by Mew & Langton & Company Brewers)
Situated to the west of the Store and office blocks with one side on Holyrood Street (qv) circa 1900. Very tall building of grand proportions, 3 storeys in yellow brick on high red brick basement which has banded rustication on the Holyrood Street side. South front articulated by giant pilasters with red brick Doric capitals and red brick arches between up to 3rd floor which has round headed windows with red brick arches over. The 2nd floor is blind and segment headed windows occur
in alternate bays on basement and 1st floor. Red brick moulded eaves cornice and red brick pediment each end of roof, the ridge saddled through-out its length by a copper sheathed hoist on cast iron brackets runs the full height of the upper 3 storeys on the Holyrood Street side.
Listing NGR: SZ4994489389 Grade II 1972

1901 The Royal Brewery – New Malting Process and Buildings.
Inhabitants and many others, especiaaly passengers by Railway, have marked with interest of late of the demolition of an historic building nearthe Station, known as the old Bridewell, or goal, which having survived its period of usefullness as a place of detion for transgressors against the law, was aquired by Messrs. W B Mew Langton & Co., for the Royal Brewery, whose premises adjoined, and has now pulled down to make way for the erection of the Brewery buildings (see IOW CP November 16, 1901)
Up to 1979, the old Whitebread brewery site dominated the skyline opposite the Railway Medina. It was destroyed by fire in November 1984 and demolished. The site covered a large area and there now stands an elderly people’s complex St Cross Court (62 Flats); and new Curry’s store (1952) replaced by Lidl, supermarket.

Lugley Street – North

Lugley Street
1st mentioned in 13th-14th centuries

Named after Lugley or Luely stream which rises in Rayners Grove some 3 miles to the west of the town (Stream of ‘Shining Way’)

(North Side)
4 Mrs Elizabeth Jackman – midwife (1889)

No 6 Old Well House
Early C19 2 storeys red brick with grey headers, red brick dressings, rendered plinth. Low pitch gable end slate roof, shallow wood eaves cornice, wood block string course. 2 windows 1st floor recessed sash, glazing bars, flat brick arches, block sills. Tripartite recessed ground floor window, sash glazing bars, moulded strips, flat brick arch, block sill. Modern recessed door, plain wood reveals, semi-circular fanlight, rubbed brick arch over on reeded imposts. Listed Building Listing NGR: SZ4994889288 Grade II 1 February 1972.

No 8 Watchbell House
Mid C18 house in purple brick. 2 storeys. 5 windows. Old tile roof. 2 dormers. Central door with 6 panels, in plain wood case with small hood. Right hand ground floor window of 3 lights. Listed Building Listing NGR: SZ4994289281 Grade II 1 October 1953.
Watchbell House Natural Therapy Centre

10 The Blue School for Girls
Established in 1761 ‘for the education, board and clothing of 20 poor girls of Newport, a portion of whom were boarders. The expenses being paid out of the legacies of Thomas Cooke and Mrs Martha Cooke. The object of the charity was ‘to instruct the children in the duties of servants and to make them good christians and useful subjects.’ On leaving school, each girl received suitable clothing, a bible and a prize book, together with £1 at the end of a years employment. In 1877 the school moved to Crocker Street.
Wight & Green
Island Stoves

No 12
Early C19 3 storeys red brick with grey headers, red brick dressings. Gable end slate roof, gable to street with projecting eaves. One window, recessed, sash, glazing bars, flat brick arches. Recessed door of 3 fielded panels with panelled reveals and soffit, plain wood doorcase, reeded band to frieze, projecting cornice.
Listing NGR: SZ4992289280 Grade II 1972
George Young – Insurance ageny (1889)

No 14
Late C18 2 storeys painted brick. Gable end old tile roof. Gabled dormer, wood eaves cornice and wide frieze added, brick frieze with headers projecting below. One window, sash, moulded flush wood frames, camber headed with segmental brick arches, block sills. Recessed door of 5 fielded panels, panelled reveals and soffit. Plain wood doorcase probably later, frieze and projecting shallow cornice.
Listing NGR: SZ4991889278 Grade II 1972

Nos 16 & 18
Late C18 3 storeys painted brick. Gable end old tile roof wood eaves cornice. Irregular fenestration No 16 having 2 windows sash, moulded flush wood frames. Recessed doors in small moulded wood
doorcase.Listed Buildings Listing NGR: SZ4991189281 Grade II 1 February 1972.

Battle of Waterloo or Railway Tavern
On the 1850 Ordnance Survey map on the eastern side of Chain Lane is listed as the Railway Tavern.
Borough Petty Sessions. James Knight applied for the transfer of the licence but was opposed by the Police. Licence refused. (Isle of Wight Observer 18 Jan 1868)
Borough Petty Sessions. The licence of the Raiway Tavern was endorsed over from Mr Braddock to Mr James Knight. Isle of Wight Observer 8 February 1868)
Notice of Auction
Messrs Francis Pittis & Son are instructed to Sell by Auction
by order of the executors of the late Mr Samuel James Goodwin
At the Bugle Hotel, in Newport
on Wednesday, 27th January, 1869
at six o’clock in the evening the Freehold Property known as Railway Tavern
Lugley Street & Chain Lane Newport I.W. – being a wellarranged
Free Public House
7-Quarter Malt-House, Brewery, Coach-house, Stabling, and out-buildings, with yard and a Well yielding an excellent supply of pure Water.
The Premises are admirably adapted for the business and offer an excellent opportunity to any party desirous of going into the Brewing and Malting Trade.
The property after the sale became Fred Trim’s fruit and vegetable warehouse.

22 Earl Mountbatten Hospice Shop
Kiss Puppy Sophie’s Shop

Chain Lane

The Beehive
This little pub was situated between the two entrances of the former Premier Motors workshops, the site itself having been demolished and an open area created at the end of Chain Lane. The pub appears in 1867 directory and closed in 1916 when the licence was made redundant
1859 John Cook
1871 Sam Woodbine
1878 Edwin Dober
James Cushen
1915 Frederick Cross

The Star Hotel
The fine example of a Victorian town hotel occupied on the corner of Lower St James’ Street and Lugley Street, dated to the early part of the 19th century. It had a small adjacent tap bar facing into St James’s Street which continued to trade after the main hotel was distroyed by fire on 23 August 1910.
Alarming Hotel Fire at Newport
Early on Tuesday morning an alarming and destructive fire occurred which practically destroyed that historic hostelry, the Star Hotel, together with its contents, and the Friendly Societies Assembly Hall, whilst the tenant, Mr E H Walker, his 15 year old daughter, and the barmaid had a narrow escape from perishing in the burning building.
The premises were left apparently safe when Mr Walker and the others named retird for the night on Monday. Mrs walker and four younger children were away on holiday in Southssea. There having been no fire or gas light in that part of the premises where the outbreak seemingly occurred, namely a private room behind the bar, it is conjectured that the electric light wires fused and caused the fire. The electric light had become defective and orders had been given for the overhaul of the installations. Mr Walker was roused from his sleep at about 1:45 am by the hammering at the doors and windows of his premises by a labouring man of Chain Lane, Mr Emery, who was passing by.
(see the whole account in the Isle of Wight County Press 27 August 1910.)
1832 William Newnham
1859 Benjamin Warburton
1871 Thomas Denham
1878 Edwin King
1879 Jojn Jackson
1910 E H Walker

The Grammar School (1619) on the corner with St James Street (118)
Dated 1614. A 3 storey building in rubble with roof of old tiles. One large central gable, and wood mullioned windows, one in the gable, and the 2nd storey having 2 of 4 lights, flanking 2 of 2 lights. All have moulded drip stones. Ground floor has 2 3 ligt windows and one of 2 lights. Recessed door with moulded rectangular label and restored head stops. A moulded stone shield beneath gable window. Carved chimney piece inside. Charles I lodged in the building for 10 weeks while the Treaty of Newport was being negotiated.Listed Building Listing NGR: SZ4977589220 Grade II* 1953

No 48
Mid C19 commercial premises. 3 storeys, painted brick. Hipped slate roof with projecting eaves, rendered blockstring course, 3 windows, the outer ones narrow, recessed, sash, no glazing bars, block sills, flat arches. Broad projecting central bay with full width windows divided into 8 panes, flanked by Doric pilasters. Frieze and concave cornice. Ground floor retains frame of period shop front: large central window plate glass but with 4 lunettes in upper part presumably top of original panes, flanked by colonettes, recessed window to west and to east double doors panelled below with round headed lights above also flanked by colonettes, as on central windows ground floor and 1st floor, rectangular fanlight above. 4 Doric pilasters support plain frieze and cornice. 3 storey bay to east with double loft doors 1st and 2nd floor, with wood lintels. Ground floor double doors with rectangular fanlights.
Listing NGR: SZ4981989245 Grade II listed 1972 delisted March 2005

No 50
Mid C18 house of 3 storeys in red brick with yellow brick inlaid string courses. Pediment over the whole front. 3 windows, 2 blind on 2nd floor sash, moulded flush wood frames, segmental brick arches. Frame of original shop front remains but glazing is altered.
Listing NGR: SZ4982089232 Grade II listed 1972 delisted March 2005

No 52
Early C19 3 storeys grey headers with red brick dressings, the centre is slightly recessed. Gable end slate roof, wood eaves cornice. Paired sash windows 2nd floor, moulded flush wood frame, block sill. 1st floor shallow 3 light bay window, no glazing bars, plain strips shallow projecting cornice, panelled apron. Ground floor window, recessed, sash no glazing bars, block sill. Recessed door of 6 fielded panels with rectangular fanlight. Doorcase of panelled Doric pilasters, frieze and shallow cornice.
Listing NGR: SZ4981389240 Grade II listed 1972 delisted March 2005

No 56 (Lugley House)
Mid C18 house of 3 storeys red brick. Gable end old tile roof with grey header cornice, grey header string course. 5 windows, sash, glazing bars, block sills, flat brick arches. Central door of 4 fielded
panels with moulded doorcase set in architrave with banded rustication, projecting pediment on shaped wood brackets. Listed BuildingListing NGR: SZ4973089216 Grade II 1 October 1953.
Medens Trust (1971)
Spectrium Housing Association (2014)

62 Samuel Mundell – carrier (1907)

No 66 (Lugley Cottage)
Early C19 2 storeys red brick with grey headers, red brick dressings. Low pitch hipped slate roof with projecting eaves. Entrance bay of one window with lean-to set back. 2 windows, recessed, sash, glazing bars, rubbed brick flat arches, block sills. Ground floor original French windows both with wood trellis porches with glass roofs. Door is set back, panelled in moulded wood architrave, round headed entrance with rubbed brick arch and keystone. Good red brick and grey header
wall on street with stone coping, stone capped gate piers, modern gates. Listed Building Listing NGR: SZ4968889180 Grade II 1 February 1972.

68 & 70 Corner House
Early C19 semi-detached 3 storeys red brick with grey headers and red brick dressings. Low pitch gable end slate roof, wood eaves cornice. One window per house, recessed, sash, glazing bars intact 1st and 2nd floor No 68, 2nd floor only No 70, block sills, wood lintels 2nd floor otherwise rubbed brick flat arches. Recessed doors, 4 fielded panels, 2 glazed No 70, modern No 68. Semi-circular fanlights, architraves, rubbed brick arches over. Listed BuildingsListing NGR: SZ4966089159 Grade II 1 February 1972.

Mill Street

Queen’s Hall in conjuction with the Newport Arts Association, the Intimate Opera Society sent singers. The roller-skating rink, on the junction of Lugley and Heran Street, later became the Grand cinema built originally in 1910.

Lugley Street – South

Lugley Street
(South Side)
No 1
Late C18 2 storeys rendered painted brick on brick plinth. Gable end old tile roof, 2 windows, sash, glazing bars moulded flush wood frames, block sills. Recessed door of 4 fielded panels, plain reveals, wood doorcase of thin pilaster strips bracketed hood, 2 rendered steps. Listed Building Listing NGR: SZ4994489253 Grade II 01 February 1972.
Just You

5 Hellerslea Fabrics – Dress Furnishinggs & Trimmings

Nos 9 to 17 (odd) form a group
No 9 (Congregational Church Hall)
Early C19 2 storeys rendered painted rusticated quoins, plinth, blind bay to west. Pediment over whole front. 3 windows recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills. Central double doors, set back from front, of 4 fielded panels, rectangular fanlight. 5 steps up to entrance which has plain rendered surround, with cornice.
Listing NGR: SZ4990089238 Grade II 1972

No 11
C18 2 storeys painted brick on brick plinth. Steep pitch gable end old tile roof with 2 skylights, wood eaves cornice on 4 brackets. 2 windows probably C19, recessed, sash, segmental brick arces. Ground floor window wide with vertical glazing bars. Double doors, 4 fielded panels, 2 glazed, rectangular fanlight. Garage doors retain original frame with rendered lintel.
Listing NGR: SZ4989389235 Grade II 1972
Scotties – Fishing tackle

No 13
Late C18 refaced in stucco. 3 storeys with rusticated ground floor. Low pitch gable end slate roof, wide eaves cornice, 2 string courses. 3 windows, recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills, ground floor windows are segment headed. Recessed door of 4 fielded panels, semi-circular fanlight.
Listing NGR: SZ4989089228 Grade II 1972

No 15
Late C18 3 storeys painted brick on brick plinth with moulded edge. Half gable end roof of slate sloping to No 17, wood eaves cornice, 2 double brick string courses. 2 windows ground and 1st floor, one on 2nd, slightly recessed, sash, ground and 1st floors glazing bars intact, wood frames, camber headed with segmental brick arches, block sills.No 15 shares entrance with No 17, doors of 6 fielded panels in reeded cases below large semi circular fanlight with radial glazing bars, swags
between, red brick arch over. 2 steps up.
Listing NGR: SZ4988289234 Grade II 1972

No 17
Similar to No 15 red brick with rendered plinth. One window blocked 2nd floor, the other 2 light casement. 1st floor 3 windows, one above entrance, later sashes in moulded frames. Door paired in unusual treatment with No 15. These premises are Listed Buildings Listing NGR: SZ4987689232 Grade II 1 February 1972.

19-21 Wessex Cancer Trust

23a Chalange & Adventure Ltd

Nos 25 & 27
C18 2 storeys red brick with some grey headers on rendered plinth. Gable end old tile roof with raised rendered coping to each gable with brick kneelers. 2 dormers, one gabled. 2 windows, sash, glazing bars, moulded flush wood architraves, block sills, ground floor No 27 altered to 2 lights sash no glazing bars. Doors paired in centre. 6 fielded panels No 25, 3 No 27 in C19 plain wood cases with bracketed hood. 2 rendered steps Listed Building Listing NGR: SZ4984689220 Grade II 1 February 1972.

The Bugle Tap
No 29 (The Bugle Hotel Tap)
A Mew Langton brewery tied house. Tap Bars were a feature of large inns and hotels that catered to the gentry, coachmen and servants were not permitted to share the same facilities as their masters and prefered the les pretentiou surroundings. Most Tap Bars were at the rear of establishments, but this was on the side of Lugley Street next to the gate to Bugle’s yard.
1879 Joseph Linington
1939 Fred Alabone Dyer
1970s The Bugle Tap closed
Early C19. 2 storeys, 3 windows. Ground floor stuccoed, above painted brick. Tiled roof. Glazing bars intact above ground floor. In the centre of the ground floor is a public house entrance dated 1878 which is good of its kind. The doorway is flanked by windows, all 3 having pilasters with incised details and cornice over. Listed Building Listing NGR: SZ4983089216 Grade II 1 February 1972.
The premises are now occupied by The Bugle Tap Restaurant at 28a.

No 29A
Late C18 corner house with No 12 St James’s Street qv. 3 storeys purple grey brick with red brick dressings. Plain ront of 3 windows, sash, glazing bars, moulded flush wood frames. Recessed door of 6 fielded panels, panelled reveals, semi-circular fanlight, doorcase of engaged Doric columns with broken dentil pediment. Listed Building Listing NGR: SZ4981289212 Grade II
1 February 1972.

The Freemason Tavern on the corner of Lugley Street and St James Street. (117)
Early C19 3 storeys painted brick. Low pitch gable end slate roof wood eaves cornice. Brick band between storeys, plinth. St James’s Street front: 3 windows, sash, glazing bars intact 2nd floor, moulded flush wood frames, thin block sills. Mid C19 public house front, Doric pilasters with incised panels, frieze and cornice, angled door. Lugley Street front 2 windows, recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills.Bay window 1st floor of 3 lights with glazing bars, plain strips frieze,
cornice and deep apron. One small round headed window. Adjoining corner on ground floor large window of 3 round headed lights with Doric pilasters. Recessed door of 4 fielded panels, 2 glazed, doorcase of thin panelled pilasters, bracketed cornice hood. Listed Building Listing NGR: SZ4979089202 Grade II 1 February 1972.
Originally known as the Angel, it was renamed when the Albany Masonic Lodge moved into its newly built premises. The inn survived up until around 1976 when it finally succumbed to the Whitbread closures, the site became a ladies dress shop (1994).
1871 William King
1878 Robert Sparks
1879 William Organ
1891 C Simmonds
The customers of this house were entertained at dinner on Monday evening last, through the generosity of Hyams & Co., and the landlord, Mr. C Simmonds, when 72 sat down to a spendid repast provided by the host and hostess. (Isle of Wight County Press 10 January 1891)
1915 John Simmonds
1924 Albert Edward Preston
1927 )
1939 ) Mrs Emily Maria Harris
1951 F G Barber

No 31 (Masonic Hall)
Mid C19 2 storeys deep red brick in mid C17 Anglo-Dutch style. Deep red brick heavy modillion cornice. 1st floor, 4 windows and plaque in centre, windows with architraves and sills on consoles, moulded cornices, articulated by composite pilasters. Ground floor blind arcading with banded rustication to piers, round headed windows and door. Central arch completed to form circular frame for relief of mediaeval ship. Ground floor has egg and dart and modillion cornice. Listed Building Listing NGR: SZ4978289192 Grade II 1 February 1972.
Above the entrance are the Latin words “Audi Vide Tace” derived from the Latin proverb “Audi, Vide, Tace, si vis vivere in pace” (“Hear, see, be silent, if you would live in peace”).

No 33 (Braunstone House)
Braunstone House School
Boarding and Day School for girls and little boys.
Principles: Miss Parker A.C.P. And Miss G Parker A.T.C.L., A.R.C.M. Registered Teacher
Assisted by experienced certified Resident and Visiting Mistresses.

This is essentialy a Home School, and only a limited number of resident pupils are taken. The school buildings are lofty, well ventilated and thoroughly up-to-date.
The curriculam includes the usual course of study, pupils have very careful tuition in the Curwen and Matthay methods in music, and are taught Musical Appreciation in small classes, special attention is given to Drawing and many sucesses in the R.D.S. Examinations have been obtained. Pupils are prepared for the London Metric; Cambridge Local; College of Preceptors (Prelim). And Associated Board of Music.
A seperate Kindergarten for small children is in the charge of a fully qualified Froebel Mistress.
Every encouragement is given to out of doors excercises and games. Tennis and cricket are played in the summer, hockey and basket-ball in the winter.
Fees: 25 guineas per term.
Entire charge taken of children whose parents reside abroad. Anglo-Indian, Colonial and Foreign.
Source: Paton’s List of Schools.
Notes: Guinea = £1-1s.0d. (1971 = £1 5p)
It is believed that the school closed in the early 1950s.
C18 2 storeys and attic, painted brick. Gable end tiled roof. 6 windows and one window space, 3 windows in large curved bay to west faced with wood grooved in imitation of masonry with a modillion cornice over. Windows sash, glazing bars, moulded flush wood frames, block sills. 2 modern windows in original style added to ground floor. Doorway with flat hood over on brackets.
Listed Building Listing NGR: SZ4976889182 Grade II 1 February 1972.
Braunstone Antique Galleries

The site is now occupied by Lugley of Newport, restaurant. Also Braunstone House Hotel.

Post Office Lane

Rear Enterance to Old Post Office in High Street (Castlehold)

New Travelodge

Mill Lane

Yaverland Church

Church of St John the Baptist

Formerly Listed as: Parish church in parish of Yaverland

Church. c1150 nave and chancel built as a private chapel by the de Aula family of Yaverland Manor, with some late C13 windows by the Russell family of Yaverland Manor and C15 Perpendicular chancel windows, hagio-scope and opening for rood loft dating from the period when the building became a parish church, with North aisle, organ chamber, vestry and bell turret added by Ewan Christian in 1889. Built of stone rubble with tiled roof. 2 bay nave, smaller and lower 2 bay chancel, north aisle, bell turret and south porch. Nave: west gable has 3 C19 lancets and buttresses. East gable has C19 cross-shaped saddlestone. South side has window with cinquefoil-headed light with hood
moulding and further C19 double lancet with circle above. North aisle has cinquefoil-headed lights. South doorway of cll50 has one order of columns and a tympanum with a small chip carved repeat pattern. Arch has unusual motif of raised radial bars and hoodmould has zigzag pattern. Human mask set above this. Mass dial carved into left-hand side. Consecration cross carved on right jamb of doorway. South porch c1889, base of stone, above wooden with cinquefoil cinquefoil patterned lights. Gable has carved bargeboards and Tudor arched door with trefoil in spandrels. Chancel has 2 double cinquefoil-headed lights and C19 cross-shaped saddlestone to apex of gable. Bellcote situated at west end of nave has square base with louvred bell chamber having trefoil heads and broached shingled spire surmounted by a cock weathervane.
Interior C15 pillar piscina by south door. C12 or C13 octagonal stone font. The arches to the north aisle are by Ewan Christian, the end ones octagonal, the centre ones circular. C19 roofs. Norman chancel arch with 1 order of columns with zigzag decoration and zigzag decoration above arch. C15 hagioscope south of the chancel arch and triple window above chancel arch with cinquefoil heads in Tudor arch. Remains of stairs to roof loft. Chancel has piscina with shelf to south of altar, probably C19. Marble and mosaic reredos by C E Ponting with figures by Frampton. Windows in south wall of nave by Hardman; St Raphael and St Gabriel in the west wall of the nave by Burlison and Gryllo and east aisle window by Wailes and Strang.
Listing NGR: SZ6139185944
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright.

Crocker Street, Newport

Crocker Street
1st mentioned in 14th century

Named after a man of eminence. In 1621 a girl with that named went to Virginia.
With almost all building in the town timber framed and thatched roofed, the fire hazard was ever present. So much so that by-laws banned Crocker’s (makers of earthenware) from the town to its periphery and a copious supply of water; hence Crocker Street.
Many of the town’s tanners and dyers were confined here, so they had access to water for their crafts as well as a convenient means of disposal of the manufacturing liquids involved-vile mixture of lime, animal dung, dyes and water. These liquids emptied into Lukely Brook.
This refers to the stream as Summersbrooke, Crocker Street alias North Street.
It would appear that in the 17th century both names were in use and the Summersbrooke brought waters from the Gunville area to Town Gate.

(South Side)
No 3
Early C19. 2 storeys painted brick. Old tile gable end roof with tall red brick block corniced stacks. Originally had stucco parapet and cornice (viz NMR photo), plinth, 2 windows, casements of 2 lights, wood frames, thin wood block sills. Centred, slightly recessed, door of 4 fielded panels, 2 glazed, bracketed hood.
Listing NGR: SZ4986989324 Grade II 1972

No 4
Early C19 designed in conjunction with No 3 with same old tile roof. 2 storeys stucco. Archway through both storeys leading to stable courtyard with living accommodation of 2 storeys in red brick to the east, stabling to the south ad store-rooms to the west. Camber headed sash windows with glazing bars, double hatches and double ground floor door with plain doorcase and rectangular fanlight. On the street front the archway is flanked by broad pilaster strips with banded rustication and. plain pilaster strips flank the side portions. Originally as with No 3 there its a cornice and parapet with a pediment over the archway (Photograph in NMR). To the street the store-rooms have narrow rectangular windows on ground floor, lunette shaped on first floor with ornamental cast iron grilles.
Listing NGR: SZ4990189316 Grade II 1972

Nos 7 & 8
C17 cottage divided in 2. 2 storeys rough rendered front, red brick sides. Stone capped gable end, old tile roof. 2 windows original small bayed casements with original iron frames on 1st floor. They
have tiled roofs on ground floor. Brackets supporting them. Small 2 light casement in centre of 1st floor. Plain cottage doors. Rubble plinth.
Listing NGR: SZ4987689322 GradeII 1972

No 9
C18 2 storeys purple grey headers red brick dressings, plinth. Steep gable end old tile roof. One window, sash, glazing bars, block sills, moulded flush wood frames. Recessed door of 6 fielded panels. 2 glazed. Doorcase of thin reeded and diagonally banded pilasters, brackets and cornice-hood.
Listing NGR: SZ4986989322 Grade II 1972

Nos 10 & 11
Early C18 2 storeys painted brick. Gable end old tile roof. 2 gabled casement dormers. 3 windows, 2 light casements wood frames, Glazing bars. 3 lights casements on ground floor, with panelled shutters. Slightly recessed doors of 4 fielded panels, plain doorcase with bracketed hoods. Listing NGR: SZ4986589324 Grade: II Date Listed: 1 February 1972

Nos 12 & 13
Early C19. 3 storeys purple grey headers with red brick dressings, plinth. Double low pitch gable end slate roof, projecting wood eaves cornice. 3 windows, centre ones blind, recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills, flat rubbed brick arches. Paired doors, recessed of 4 fielded panels, 2 glazed, 3 Doric pilasters supporting common frieze and cornice.
Listing NGR: SZ4985589320 Grade II 1972
2 Chain Lane

No 14
Circa 1800. 2 storeys, chequer brick. Gable end old Tile roof. Wood eaves cornice over red brick headers, rendered plinth. 2 windows,sash, no glazing bars, moulded flush wood frames. Ground floor large Cl9 tripartite window, sash, no glazing bars, plain strips, moulded flush wood architrave, block sill, flat rubbed brick arch with wooden keystone. Wide recessed door of 6 fielded panels with panelled reveals and soffit. Good doorcase of panelled pilasters and bracketed cornice hood also
with panelled soffit.
Listing NGR: SZ4984489316 Grade II 1972

No 15
Late C18. 2 storeys red brick previously painted, stone plinth. Gable end old tile roof. One window sash, glazing bars, block sills, moulded flush wood frames. Recessed door late C19 panelled and glazed. Early C19 doorcase of thin pilaster strips and bracketed hood.
Listing NGR: SZ4984489316 Grade II 1972

No 16
Late C18. 2 storeys chequer brick, stone plinth. Steep gable end slate roof with small dormer, red header eaves cornice, One window, sash, glazing bars, block sills, moulded flush wood frames. Painted segmental brick arch over ground floor window. Recessed door of 4 fielded panels
with same doorcase as No 15.
Listing NGR: SZ4983389318 Grade II 1972

No 17
Early C19, 3 storeys purple grey headers with red brick dressings, 2 inset red brick string courses. Low pitch gable end slate roof, inset red header eaves cornice, one window, recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills, flat brick arches. Recessed door of 6 fielded panels, semi-circular fanlight. Reeded imposts, rubbed brick arch over.
Listing NGR: SZ4983389318 Grade II 1972

Nos 18 & 19
C18. 3 storeys red brick and grey headers. Gable end old tile roof the eaves hidden by brick parapet. 2 windows, sash, glazing bars, moulded flush wood frames. Paired recessed doors, in centre, one modern the other of 6 fielded panels. Doorcase of reeded pilasters and cornice hoods.
Listing NGR: SZ4982389315 Grade II 1972

Nos 27 to 32 (consec)
The Lower or Worsley’s Almshouse in Crocker Street was founded by Giles Kent, who devised the almshouse and £100 to Sir Richard Worsley, bart., for the accommodation of five or more old people. Sir Richard Worsley by deed 17 May 1618 granted the almshouse to the mayor and burgesses and also a rent-charge of £10 out of the manors of Chale and Walpen. The trust property now consists of the almshouse occupied by six inmates, a small garden at rear let at £5 a year, the rent-charge of £10 above mentioned, and a rent-charge of £10 under will of Christian Roman of Shorwell. There is also a sum of £160 in the Isle of Wight Savings Bank. They were rebuilt in 1879.

(Hopsley’s Almshouses) actual title should read Worsley Almshouses
Built 1618 but re-roofed and porches added 1879 (date plaque in gable of centre porch). Single storey old red brick raised on high rendered plinth. Gable end tile roof with 2 bands of scalloped tiles, old tiles to rear. Wood frame casement windows leaded with diamond panes. Wood frame rough case porches on chequer brick bases with steps up each side and lean-to roofs to paired doors, the centre porch is gabled with finial.
Listing NGR: SZ4971489277 Grade II 1972

Nos 37 to 39 (consec) form a group
37-38 C18/C19. 2 storeys chequer brick with red brick dressings. Gable end slate roof, No 37 had wood eaves cornice and flat roofed dormer with glazing bars. One window per house, sash, glazing bars, moulded flush wood frames, flat rubbed brick arches, block sills. Ground floor No 37, small bow window with glazing bars, centre strip and thin doric pilasters to wall, plain frieze and cornice-hood on brackets. Both houses have recessed doors of 4 fielded panels with doorcases of thin fluted Doric pilasters and bracketed broken pediments. The detailing on No 38 is of a higher standard. No 39 Early C19 2 storeys red brick with grey headers end red brick dressings. Gable end slate roof. One window, recessed, sash, block sills, flat brick arches. Recessed door of 6 fielded panels in moulded wood frame, Shallow wood porch with flat roof.
Listing NGR: SZ4963789222 Grade II 1972

No 39
Early C19 2 storeys red brick with grey headers end red brick dressings. Gable end slate roof. One window, recessed, sash, block sills, flat brick arches. Recessed door of 6 fielded panels in moulded wood frame, Shallow wood porch with flat roof.
Listing NGR: SZ4963389211 Grade II 1972

(North Side)
No 54
Early Cl9. 3 storeys, rendered, rusticated quoins, 2 block string courses and plinth. Low pitch hipped, slate roof, wood eaves cornice. 2 windows recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills. Ground floor window tripartite with plain strips. Ground floor and 1st floor windows have moulded
rendered surrounds splayed in Egyptian style. Recessed door of 3 fielded panels same architrave as on ground and first floors with moulded cornice above.
Listing NGR: SZ4977589332 Grade II 1972

57 Waggon & Horses
Alehouse from 1769
William Dore, Innkeeper

Nos 60 & 61
Early C19. 3 storeys chequer brick with red brick dressings, stone plinth. Low pitch gable end slate roof, plain wood eaves cornice, lion head studden guttering. One window per house, recessed, sash, glazing bars intact on No 60, block sills, rubbed brick flat arches. Recessed doors, 4 fielded panels No 61, modern No 60, plain wood doorcase frieze and projecting moulded cornice.
Listing NGR: SZ4981189338 Grade II 1972
1871 Samuel Mundell – carrier

No 62
The Blue School Foundation, formerly the Girls’ Charity School, transferred from Lugley Street in 1877 and was regulated by a scheme of the Board of Education, until 23 December 1907, and possesses an endowment of £4,817 1s. 4d. consols, producing £120 8s. 4d. a year, of which £2,513 6s. 6d. arose from subscriptions and donations, £242 14s. 10d. consols from sale in 1889 of land and disused school buildings, and £723 8s. 9d. consols accumulations of income, and the remainder from legacies under the wills of Miss Scott (1860), Rev. G. Richards (1843), Mary Davis Parker (1876), Robert Bell (1880), and Miss Cecilia Scott (1888). The stock is held by the official trustees.
Dated 1761, formerly a School. Good mid C18 house of 3 storeys, purple grey headers. Low pitch gable end slate roof with eaves cornice of projecting grey headers. 4 windows, recessed, sash, glazing bars, block sills, flat red brick arches. In the centre on the 1st floor is a niche with rendered surround which originally contained a contemporary wood female figure (viz NMR photograph). Recessed door of 4 fielded panels with semi-circular fanlight swagged radial glazing bars. Good doorcase of reeded 3/4 Doric columns, panelled reveals and soffit, open dentil pediment. Listing NGR: SZ4981689337 Grade II 1 October 1953

St Cross Lane
Nos 66 to 69 (consec)
(Formerly listed as Malthouse)
The Office of the Brewery was the Manor House of Newport dating from the early C19, but it has been very much altered and added to. Adjoining it to the east, however is a contemporary Malthouse somewhat similar to the same Company’s Malthouse facing the Quay in Sea Street and to another in the High Street at (West Cowes. The,building is of 3 storeys, grey headers with red brick dressings and a gable end tiled roof. It has 9 window bays set in a blind arcade of grey header piers with stone
imposts and round headed red brick arches, the centre one is broader and has a keystone. The 4 eastern bays contain 2 storeys of windows with ornamental cast iron grilles, rectangular on the ground floor, semi-circular on the 1st floor. The other bays retain the 1st floor grille but have had sash windows inserted on the ground floor. Above the arches on the 2nd floor are later segment headed windows and a loft door over the centre arch. To the east is a slightly later block of 2 storeys in gault brick, the roof hidden behind a parapet and moulded rendered cornice. The front is articulated by 3 slightly recessed round headed bays containing 2 storeys of windows, divided by a block stone string course. The ground floor windows are rectangular with grilles, as on adjoining Malthouse, on the 1st floor recessed round headed with glazing bars, except in centre bay which has a large double loft door. To the east of this block is the entrance to the yard, at its northern end facing the Street a store and adjoining it to the east an office building which is about contemporary with the last 3 bays on the street. It is of 2 storeys gault brick with parapet, moulded cornice and frieze, a ground floor rendered cornice and frieze. Brick pilasters with rendered Doric capitals articulate the ground and 1st floors. 3 windows, recessed, sash glazing bars, block sills and flat brick arches. Central recessed double doors of 2 fielded panels, blind semi-circular fanlight and brick arch over. The store is late C19, 4 storeys in yellow brick with a full width red brick pediment with a bull’s eye with red brick surround and keystones, red brick string courses to each floor. 4 windows with loft doors in centre, except on ground floor (the westernmost windows cut off by wing up to 3rd floor). The 3rd floor and ground floor windows are round headed with red brick arches, the 1st and 2nd floor windows have segmental red brick arches. The ground floor has a wide door to the west set in a red brick rusticated surround with elliptical arch and keystones.
Listing NGR: SZ4986889351 Grade II 1 October 1953.

No 70
Good mid C18 house of 3 storeys and basement, purple grey headers with red brick dressings. Gable end slate roof with moulded wood dentil cornice. 2 dormers, 5 windows, recessed, sash, no glazing bars to ground floor. Recessed door of 6 fielded panels at side in small porch and probably C19.
Listing NGR: SZ4991989358 Grade II 1953

Nos 73 & 74
Late Cl8 pair of cottages. 2 storeys purple grey headers with red brick ressings, inlaid red brick string course and stone plinth. Gable end ld tile roof with 2 casement dormers. Red header eaves cornice. 2 windows, sash, moulded flush wood frames, thin block sills, flat brick arches. Recessed doors of 4 fielded panels, plain wood doorcases with bracketed hoods over. The one window bay in the same style to the east forms part of No 34 Holyrood Street ov.
Listing NGR: SZ4993689357 Grade II 1972

Dolphin
In 1655 there was an inn fronting into Crocker Street called the Dolphin which sat on land belonging to the brewery. In 1643 this brewery belonged to Thomas Cooke who sold it to Tobert Sweet. The Sweet family retained ownership for a number of years until it passed to Philip Read. William and James Clarke then took over and brought in James Cull who eventually bought them out. In the early 19th century William Baron Mew bought the whole brewery site which dated back as far as 1500.

Deeds 13 December 1736
Mew Langton Deeds 29 September 1657
Further security by way of installments on the Dolphin, on north side of North Street, Newport
(1) Richard Sweete of Newport, weaver, Joan his wife
Mew Langton Deeds 13 December 1736
Counter part of Lease of one messuage or tenement, backside and garden on north side of Crocker Street, Newport, having the land of Stephen Sander on east, the river on the north, certain lands in possession of Thomas Redstone, gentleman, on the west, and said street on the south, for five years at annual rent of £5.
(1) Whitehead Rutter of Newport, chirurgeon (medieval surgeon)
(2) John Stephen’s of Newport, pipe-maker
Mew Langton Deed 1st/2nd July 1766
William Lambs, Blacksmith

(Source:Bill Shepherd)

Crocker Street where you’ll find on the left-hand side of the street, the oldest building in Newport.

Chapel and Union Streets, Newport

Chapel Street

Chapel-street and Union-street were laid out of land that was a garden known as Gould’s Garden, entrance between Nodehill Chapel and Mr Rugg’s photographic establishment.

Left hand side from St James Street

Live Wire – closed
Rear of Farmhouse Fayre

1 Charles Turtle – carrier (1889)
Charles Matthews – town carrier (1900-1924)

Trafalgar Lane

No 2 (Alma House)
Circa 1856. 3 storeys, stucco, flanked by Doric pilasters, frieze, block string coarse, plinth. Low pitch hipped slate roof, wide moulded eaves cornice. 2 windows, recessed, sash, glazing bars, moulded stucco surrounds, block sills. Ground floor with round headed lights, Doric pilasters and moulded arches over. Recessed door of 4 fielded panels, upper 2 round headed, semi-circular fanlight and stucco arch over.
Listing NGR: SZ4982888913 Grade II 1972

4a The design Centre
CAD Delta Architectural Services Ltd
5a to 7 Private houses

Union Street

8 to 14a Private Houses
15 Medina Vetenery Group

Right hand side from St James Street

44
43 R G Dixcey
Chapel (1883)
Island Bedding Centre
42 Jame E Mosque Islamic Community Centre
41
40
Garages x 2
38 Chapel Street Therapy Centre
38a Chapel

33 William Moorman – cabinet maker (1889)
32 Holly House Care Home (G Elliott & Branda Furse)
31a Jjm Design & Construction Ltd
30 Chapel House – Vectis Housing Society Ltd

28 The Magnet (beerhouse)
The original beerhouse dating back to Goldbourne Act of 1830, which empowered any household or ratepayer to open their house for the sale of beer on payment of two guineas (£2 2s. 0d or post 1971 £2.10p) to the local excise office.
1924-1960s Oliver Hamilton
WIGHT LIVING ON an early spring morning in April 1943, the Nazi bombers came.
They flew low over Newport, unloading their deadly cargo and devastating a huge area of the town.
During that terrifying morning, 20 residents — including two children, one aged 12 and one aged five — were killed and many more were injured.
Apart from the raid on Cowes and East Cowes, which happened in May the previous year, the raid, which became known as the Chapel Street bombing, inflicted the single biggest loss of life for civilians on the IW during the Second World War.
Scars from the raid remain in the town even today. In Chapel Street itself, there are gaps in what was once a row of neat terrace houses.
In Chapel Street itself, five houses were wrecked and there were more fatalities, including two widowed sisters, Mrs Flux and Mrs Buckler, who lived together, and a young airman, A. C. Carlton and his wife, who were spending a short holiday with Mr Carlton’s father, who was so badly injured he, too, later died in hospital.
In one house in the street, an 85-year-old man was spared when he was saved by a piano he was sheltering beneath, which took the weight of falling debris.
One survivor of the Chapel Street bomb was just nine years old when the enemy bombers came.
(IOW County Press Online April 26, 2013)

Car Park to Scarrots Lane

21 to 17 Private Houses

William Barton (1889) lived in the street

Union Street

1 to 7 Private
Bethany Evangical Church
10 Chapel Court
19-20 Trafalgar Court

26 Richmond House
Union Autocare
22
19 Lanfield House
18 Linington Court
17-16
15-14
13 1-6 Cottage House

Coppins Bridge

Prince Regent
Although numbered 166 High Street, the Prince Regent and other properties that once stood between Sea Street and Coppins Bridge have been demolished and the area incorporated in the Coppins Bridge roundabout.
The inn may have been previously named the ‘Prince of Orange’ which appears in the 1750 directory.
Form the alehouse records we have the following persons as innkeepers.
Roger Hastins 1742
Edward Sweetman 1744-1746
John Linington 1748
William Bevis 1749
Nathianal Bevis 1750-1753
Elizabeth Bevis 1766-1772
Renamed the Prince Regent around 1810. Certainly it appears as this in the 1812 Pigot’s Directory.
It closed in 1969 when the County Council decided to copy the mainland and adopt large scale road schemes as an answer to increased traffic congestion. This was to involve the demolition of the inn, but not before it had received some photographic fame when the area of Newport was flooded by the River Medina in 1960. By all accounts it was a popular pub and therefore would have probably faced closure in the brewery takeover to come.

Passing over Coppins Bridge, on the right, on part of the land now occupied (1952) by the Ice Factory, was the Globe Inn.

Globe Inn
This was a very old inn dating from around 1740, there is a listing for it in the 1750 Directory and it must have had a good trade based on the river traffic as the area was part of the old Newport quay.
1767-1772 Richard Enoch, innkeeper
It closed in the 1920’s and its beams, windows and oak paneling were auctioned off during the demolition. On the site was built Newport’s ice factory which in turn was demolished for the roundabout.
28 June 1803 – Freehold messuage or tenement with outhouses on the north side and at the lower end of the High Street near Coppins Bridge, called the Globe, now in occupation of James Calcott.
Ward Estate Document, IWCRO
5 June 1926
On saturday, an important addition to the list of industries in the Island was made by the opening of an Ice-making Factory. The ice-making plant consists of a compressor capable of producing 10 tons of ice in 24 hours.
The demand for many years has been largely catered for by the I.W.Ice Company, an importer of ice from the mainland.

Coopers Arms
Dating from the early part of the 19th century, this little working mans pub was conveniently placed to capture the trade emanating from the workers of the Gasworks, and also many employed on Newport Quay who used the footpath that ran beneath the railway arches.
The Coopers Arms was one of a row of buildings on the town side of Snook’s Hill. The row was divided into two blocks by a lane leading to the old Gasworks site. The Coopers Arms occupied the site on the lower corner of the lane, on the opposite side was the Victoria Inn.

Victoria Inn
Its appearance in the 1888 trade directory gave rise to this new pub, it closed in the late 1920’s and for many years was a shop and hairdresser’s. With the new roundabout this building along with many others was swept away.

White Lion
28 June 1803 – Freehold messuage with stables, outhouses belonging, situated near Coppins Bridge called the White Lion, now in occupation of Thomas Fellows, formerly purchased by Richard Newnham. Ward Estate Documents. It is was in use from 1735 to 1745 with John Porter, as Innkeeper and was in use in 1879 when the Newport to Sandown railway bridge was being constructed. It was closed around 1912.
On the left, on the riverside to the South of the bridge, is today a tablet in the wall stating that coal for the poor could be delivered at that point without payment of any wharf-age dues.